NewBeetle.org Forums banner

A Poll

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered this today. As i Love Black and Orange like my last Bug.

But ended up with a well looked after Alaskan Green 1.9 TDi

No dents, no previous problems, well cared for, average mileage.

So what did you base your decision on :confused: :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
We received the down payment on the bug as a wedding gift in May of 1998.

So the choice wasn't really ours at all, the Beetle wasn't even really on our minds, and there it was, all yellow and awesome.

Sometimes your car picks you.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Understand this was the culmination of a year long search without borders. I was fortunate as this was an addition and not a replacement.
To explain the "Other" selection:

Color was a given (Dark Flint Grey Body, Red Top, SE), no interest in anything else
Engine was a "no choice" (only produced with 2.0L), although I would have prefered a 1.8T. Tip 6spd was a preferred, although again I don't think this SE was produced with anything else.
Condition - nothing short of excellent
Mileage - nothing over 40k as this one had, although I would have paid more for less.
Model - missing from the choices, but again a given, no reason I can come up with to own a tin lid when you can own a ragtop. I'm a Vert person.

Oddly, less than one week after consumating the deal, another hit the market, in even better condition, with less miles, for a comparable price. My loss.

M.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Oddly enough I was looking for another car to replace my current one (Geo Metro), just never considered VW and I did not even know they were reintroduced in 1998. The wife passed the Dodge Dealership (on her way home) and saw it; so we went back and bought it, with no regards to anything, other than it was a VW Beetle.

In regards to the used ones I am trying to buy now; no mods and no automatics are the only rules. On a side note, I only buy used NB's from private sellers, no dealers.

·
I love my Butterkup baby!
489 Posts
I chose condition.. although Butterkup found us, we didn't find her. :) All we were looking for was a beetle for me in as close to perfect condition as possible for under $10,000.. Garnet Volkswagen called me one morning to let me know that a couple was coming to trade in their special edition color concept in the morning.. we sped there, and Butterkup didn't even have a price listed or anything yet.. My family & I fell in love & bought her on the spot. The rest is history :D:D

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
I chose Diesel 1.9 and lowest mileage.Color(yellow)wasn't first choice,but not a bad choice.Ended up with a 99 that had 5 speed,1.9 and 87,000 miles.Had a great CarFax report and came home for $6k price..

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was wanting either Saturn Sky or VW Bug. Hubby wanted me to look at Hyundai Sonata. Went to See Sky first, then Sonata and Walked into VW dealership and saw my 2008 gecko green convertible on showroom floor and I said this is it. Fell in love :) she was a 2008 model brand new with 11 miles in 2009 so I saved a little. Still thinking of her name.

With my daughters blue used convertible, I've been looking for months. She wanted a light blue but I was looking more at she and price. The color was what had me buying from out of state it was right price, right year, a 2006 and in her case the exact color. Now I wait and see how the inspection turns out on Bugzy Blue to see if I put money into him or if I have to send back or trade! Keeping fingers crossed. Daughter is already attached.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
My parents got mine for me so I wasn't really involved, but when looking for a car at all, I look at mileage, condition, engine, and transmission. Needs to be a manual. And this time around, I wanted either a TDI or 1.8T. Maintenance is key. Seeing an ad for a car that said "new engine 5k ago...lost a timing belt so it was all replaced" makes me nervous. If they neglected the timing belt, what other stuff was neglected? Around 100k for mileage, if was a TDI, looking at 150k max if possible.

Ended up with a GTI, but I did peek at NBs with the same criteria. Hard to find in good shape (and in my budget) unfortunately.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
My requirements before I got to the dealer were manual transmission (non-negotiable), good price and "like new" condition. I wasn't even sure which model. All of the Beetles were used and yellow. They didn't call out to me. Then I saw a blue one and the salesman told me it was a manual. I was sold!

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Service history!! Never again will I buy a used VW without detailed maintenance records! I want to make sure the car I'm buying was properly taken care of by the previous owner and that what was done was done right with the right parts. I've spent WAY too much money cleaning up the mess the lazy PO screwed up. I love my car to the moon and back, but genuine VW parts and money don't grow on trees.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
:)

oops double post.. stupid blackberry..

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
All of the NBs we had were new, so that doesn't apply. But on my other (used) cars, condition.

I had my Boxster inspected thoroughly by a Porsche shop (even did a compression test), and as that passed, I proceeded. The Benz? It was cheap enough for me not to worry, and it was in good shape (no inspection). I don't worry about miles, as long as the car is up to snuff mechanically and electrically.

·
Beware-Blonde with Beetle
677 Posts
I chose other, because I had several factors that impacted my decision:

It had to be low mileage for the price, a more current year, superior interior/exterior condition (I take care of my cars and am not up for a project :p )and an automatic. Color wasn't a major factor, although initially I was bound and determined I wanted a white NB until I saw Jolene. I NEVER thought I'd own a blue-ish Beetle.

Now, I can't imagine NOT having her!:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts