NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think a 2000 Turbo (not diesel) in mint condition with 11K original miles - all maint. records is worth? I might be able to buy one, don't have a clue what it's worth with the miles.

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well it depends, are you looking to buy from a Dealer or a Private Party? Dealer cost will almost always be more than a private seller.

Are you sure the 11K mileage is correct? That’s extremely low.
Can you verify via maintenance records that the timing belt, water pump and tensioner have been changed recently? Most of us like to replace them at 80K or Five years whichever comes first, if not it needs to be none now, not next week or next month.

Your best option is to look it up on Kelly Blue Book – Official Kelley Blue Book New Car and Used Car Prices and Values and / or NADA – N.A.D.A. Home Page

Then go from there, if the 11K is correct and it’s in excellent shape I would say around the 6K range.

But I am afraid that you are going to have to drop some money for maintenance if you start driving it regularly. If the 11K is correct the car has been setting for too long, possibility of too many items dry rotting over the years of none use.

Just my .02 cents worth.

K

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Did it belong to a little old lady that only drove it to church on Sunday :p

WOW, 11k miles for a 13 year old car? Amazing and somewhat disturbing. Sometime it's worse not driving a vehicle than actually using and driving the car.
Rubber items will still rot from age and not only useage.
Definitely change the timing belt, accessory belt, water pump, tensioner and pulley ASAP if this service hasn't been performed yet. Also change all of the old braided vacuum lines to make sure they aren't cracked. I assume it's a manual? If not I wouldn't even buy it if it had 1 mile on the odometer. The Automatic in the early beetles spells only one thing. T R O U B L E. If it is a 5 speed and it is in great shape I would definitely buy it but just because it has low mileage doesn't mean it is worth any more than a car that has been taken care of with higher mileage. At least not a lot more.
According to Kelley Blue Book for Private Seller for a 2000 VW New Beetle GLX (Which is the Top of the Line Model for that year) The price in Excellent condition is $5754.00
Very Good condition: $5504.00
Good condition: $5404.00

If it's the GLS model Turbo: Excellent condition: $5584.00
Very Good: $5334.00
Good: $5234.00

Even if the car is in Supreme shape like it came of the showroom floor I wouldn't pay more than maybe $5800 for it especially since you will have to spend 800 or more to get the timing belt service done. That's from a private VW shop. The dealer will charge you closer to $1700+ for the same service.

Overlooking this service can turn that very lovely car into a door stop in an instant. So if you do buy this car do yourself and the car a favor and don't skimp on this very very important maintenance!!!

Good Luck to you and Welcome to New Beetle Mania. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the inputs! To answer your questions:

Yes, it's really 11K. The current owner is some rich guy in the Dallas area that has a stable of cars, this was one of them. He's constantly changing out vehicles in his collection. He's owned the bug since 2003.

The car is being brokered by a friend that owns a high-end used car dealership. He's bought/sold quite a few cars for this guy over the years.

I am well aware of the issues with a car that's been sitting for a while, or barely gets driven. I've bought quite a few garage queens over the years and fixed them up. I sure appreciate the specifics of what to look for on this car.

I owned a 02 Beetle Diesel for 4 years - did a LOT of work on that thing, but it was good transportation. My son has it now.

My thought was buying this car and flipping it and making a few $'s.

I'll see the car either tomorrow or Wednesday. When I do I'll report back with all the specifics. Unless my friend comes down on the price there's no way I'm buying it.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
How much is your friend asking for it?

There is a Chevy dealership down the street from me that has a 2010 VW New Beetle 2.5 with 47k miles on the clock that he is selling for 11995. I am tempted to trade my 2000 in for the new Beetle but I will wait. The point is that there are always deals out there to be had. I personally would not pay more than 6k for this 11k 2000 Beetle regardless of shape.
And than only if you intend to keep it. Because there is no way you will be able to sell it for a lot more than what you buy it for especially if you are buying it for more than 6k.

PS: Is it an Automatic or Manual transmission?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
He's asking crazy money - 7.5K, don't know about the tranny type yet.
Waaay tooo much!! Now if he does the timing belt service including the water pump, pulley, tenioner, etc. than I would say $6500 would be okay but $7500? No way is he going to get that much for it. But who knows. There is a sucker born every day. ;)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
whaatt?

How much is your friend asking for it?

There is a Chevy dealership down the street from me that has a 2010 VW New Beetle 2.5 with 47k miles on the clock that he is selling for 11995. I am tempted to trade my 2000 in for the new Beetle but I will wait. The point is that there are always deals out there to be had. I personally would not pay more than 6k for this 11k 2000 Beetle regardless of shape.
And than only if you intend to keep it. Because there is no way you will be able to sell it for a lot more than what you buy it for especially if you are buying it for more than 6k.

PS: Is it an Automatic or Manual transmission?
Then u won't have the luxury of working on your car all the time like us. LOL :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Then u won't have the luxury of working on your car all the time like us. LOL :D
I know! :p Personally, I really don't like the 2.5 liter engine. It's peppy but very basic and it really doesn't get very good gas mileage. My old beetle gets better mileage than the 2.5's do. If I do change cars it will more than likely be for a 2.0 Turbo Beetle. But those are still too expensive right now. I have seen some of the 2012 Turbo 2.0's go for as low as 18 to 19k which isn't bad but right now a little out of my price range. So I guess I hang onto my Yellow HMMBUG for a while longer since I replaced pretty much the entire suspension and put a lot of sweat, money and time in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts