NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have high hopes for this brand new forum. Let's show Jeff how grateful we are for allowing us to have this forum!

What I want from you.....Questions! What do you want to learn more about?

Don't know what a function on your camera does? Ask!

Want to know what Hyperfocal Distance and Reciprocity Failure are? Just Ask!

Don't understand White Balance? You guessed it! Ask!

Want help choosing a new camera? I'll tell you to buy Nikon! Just kidding. I'll help evaluate the criteria, explain the pro's and con's of your chosen camera (Without bias!), and then let you decide!

If I don't know the answer off the top of my head, I will get the answer ASAP! If anyone else can answer any of the questions, go for it! Share the knowledge!

I would like to see several "Beginner" threads that help explain the basics in a easy to understand language. Anyone want to help?

I know of many talented photographers here on the Org, and I look forward to being in such great company! :wave:

·
33 ⅓
15,621 Posts
Justin...

What I want to know, in simplest of terms, (as in, name brands, costs, ease of use), what kind of digital camera should I get, so I can get decent photos?

I have this fancy pants CPU, but no clue as to what camera to get for it. It runs WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER 2005, and has all these ports on the front for (I assume), media to be plugged in, you know, to get the photos into the CPU.
I want to take more photos like this one that I took in VA.

Attachments

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will answer your question with a question:

Are you wanting the digital camera to make enlargments and prints, or just for sharing the pics on the internet?

This will help me narrow down the choices for you. :wave:

I think you did a fantastic job with your photo. The ONLYthing I can make a comment on is that the horizon doesn't seem to be straight. I haven't stood in this spot to know for sure, but the trees don't look like they are vertical.

·
33 ⅓
15,621 Posts
jdesigns said:
I will answer your question with a question:

Are you wanting the digital camera to make enlargments and prints, or just for sharing the pics on the internet?

This will help me narrow down the choices for you. :wave:

I think you did a fantastic job with your photo. The ONLYthing I can make a comment on is that the horizon doesn't seem to be straight. I haven't stood in this spot to know for sure, but the trees don't look like they are vertical.
Hmm.

Good question. I think I would use my camera mostly to share on the internet. (I have tons of photos I need to go through; some I want to scan in to my CPU...you know the drill, I bet)

As to the photo..Yes, the trees seem to be at a angle...And I wish I cold say that I had planed that shot, but to be honest, it was more or less a mistake...as it seems a lot of my good photos are. Sometimes I will 'plan' out a shot, only to have the mistake be better.

I wonder if that is common.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
i'd like to try and understand ISO, or "film speed" for digital cameras. mine (powershot A75) has 50, 100, 200, 400 and i think since i don't know any better, i always use 200. people have tried to explain it to me, but i never seem to understand.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Callisto9,

The film speed setting on your camera is there to adjust the sensitivity to light of the camera. For instance, 50 speed is less sensitive to light and 400 is more sensitive. The more light you have available the lower film speed you can use. There are advantages and disadvantages to using fast or slow film speeds. One big advantage to using a slow film speed or numaricly lower number is less noise. Noise is small flecks of off color pixels that appear randomly throughout the image and can sometimes cause the image to look "grainy". Although noise is more likely to occure when using higher film speeds it is sometimes necessary to do so to get proper expesure. For instance when wanting to take a picture without the flash, or when you need you camera to be most light sensitive to produce a fast enough shutter speed to stop action ie; your moving New Beetle. At the opposite end you may want to have a long shutter speed so you can produce motion blur ie; the streaming taillights of you New Beetle.

I hope that this is not too confusing for anybody. I too will be glad to help with any questions in the photographic area. I have been doing photography for many years and work full time at a camera shop. Let me know if I missed anything Justin.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
great photos and great explantion Photo! thanks so much for the tip! i have experimented some with my film speed, but not much. i've more messed around with the shutter speed and aperature. it's kinda hard to put all the elements together sometimes.

i took a photography class in high school and i remember some things, but i was working on a SLR then and digi cams are slightly different!

again, thank you. any other information on ISO or examples would be greatly appreciated!

·
Focus twice, shoot once
634 Posts
Resizing quandry

How in the crap do I resize pix from a "tif" to an acceptiable size for this site?

I have loads of photos that are tif format and I can't load em!

Can Anyone splain this to little old me, in laymans terms please.
Thanx, Gail

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you are operating on a windows system, you can download a powertoy called imager resizer from the microsoft website. Once installed, right click on the images you would like to resize and choose the appropriate resolution. This is a great tool to have as it lets you convert multiple images at the same time.

If you don't have a windows system, I can only suggest doing this in an editing software like photoshop or iphoto.

·
I Luv CGB!!!
2,128 Posts
Steven, I went to microsoft website, but could not find imager resizer. does it have another name?

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Okay, this is not photography specific, but it does have to do with my digital camera. I bought 3 dozen AA NiMH rechargable batteries a few months ago... haven't even used them all yet - but when I recharge them now, they don't hold a charge. The brand is Lenmar, which I had not heard of, but apparently they make a lot of the camcorder replacement batteries on the market. They are 2100 mah batteries and are "no mem". Did I get rooked or am I missing something here? :(

·
Registered
566 Posts
Porkchop said:
Okay, this is not photography specific, but it does have to do with my digital camera. I bought 3 dozen AA NiMH rechargable batteries a few months ago... haven't even used them all yet - but when I recharge them now, they don't hold a charge. The brand is Lenmar, which I had not heard of, but apparently they make a lot of the camcorder replacement batteries on the market. They are 2100 mah batteries and are "no mem". Did I get rooked or am I missing something here? :(
The batteries are probaly ok. With rechargables it is not recomended to store them charged. That is don' sharge all three dozen and wait to use them a couple months from now. They will need to be charged of you do. The batteries will slowly discharge themselves to avoid memory. Also you will have to cycle them about 5-10 times to really get the full use out of them. They have to be conditioned at first. If you are still having problems I would recomend going back to the place you bought them and exchange them. Also 2100 mah is ok but there are 2500 mah on the market and will give you longer lasting batteries.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Shutterbug said:
How in the crap do I resize pix from a "tif" to an acceptiable size for this site?

I have loads of photos that are tif format and I can't load em!

Can Anyone splain this to little old me, in laymans terms please.
Thanx, Gail
My personal favorite is Irfanview. The website is www.irfanview.com. It's free to download and use. It can change any format (like tif) and save it as any other format. It has a nice resize capability. It has a ton of other features. It's no photoshop, but for those of us who can't even figure out photoshop, it is pretty good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts