NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Cheap laptops are so inexpensive these days; it hardly worth buying a used one or trying ti repair a broken one! I think there are many old Windows tablet or laptops laying around; that might be perfectly fine, to run vcds on, although if you get a new one, it could probably end up being useful for many other things then just running vcds (posting ti newbeetle.org, looking up service manual data, etc). A older Microsoft Surface Pro or equivalent; could be a light portable device; to use in the shop, carry around or even keep in the car with the vcds cable, to check things when needed. I constantly us the internet when working on cars; there is probably a way, to get your Satellite internet connection to your shop, through a wireless repeater/extender. This would open up a whole world of usability to you and accessing the web alone, would be very convenient, i stead if going back, forth to your house, to use the computer, get on the internet, etc..
I have carefully considered all you have presented in your above posts, and you make a good case ! I've tossed out the Samsung 9 idea, as it will not meet the requirements as I see them on the Ross - Tech info page. I would, however, like your opinion of the tablet(s) available on Amazon. They have a couple 10" tablets, refurbished for $96 and change that seem to me to meet the requirements. I was going to call Ross - Tech and ask one of their wizz-kid's opinion / help, but then read their statement that basically told me that they only answer calls for current customers ! Well, that's not really potential customer friendly is it ? So, I'm asking you to do me a favor and look at the Amazon page of refurbished Notebooks, and tell me if you find any one that meets the requirements for a Ross - tech unit . Remember that I need the unit that does not use the internet. VCDS I believe. I am thinking of the tablet only because of size when in use at the vehicle. Also, I could not find anyone around here with a laptop they were not using !! Thanks a whole bunch for your valuable assistance - again ! Ben

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Are you wanting : a tablet, a tablet/sub notebook like a Microsoft Surface Pro or a traditional pc laptop? Do you want to have a keyboard built in, touch screen or both, how big of a screen, would be comfortable for you to use? How much are you willing spend and how is your internet connectivity setup with your desktop pc (wireless modem, cat 5 cable connected to a ethernet port, etc)? You will need a way; to connect to the internet, to be able to download the Ross Tech VCDS software, to make the cable work and to keep it updated, to the latest version.

As you can see, there are many possible choices; I guess, you need to narrow down, what you think you would like and what best would work for you.

If you are spending the money; a relatively current model portable device, would be recommended and will be more useful in normal day day use. That way, it can be used for other things we have discussed; aside from just running vcds. If you do. not have any portable devices currently; you will quickly find it ends up being very useful; rather then being chained, to your desk at your desktop pc computer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
For me a 10" tablet with a clip on key board sounds like a perfect solution. A refurbished unit doesn't scare me away, as I'd like to keep the expense under $150. My present desktop Dell unit is cable connected to an ethernet port, so I'd be downloading the VCDS to that, and then transferring it to the tablet. To be honest with you , my plan is to use this tablet for only a scanner use. I don't really care to expand it's use for other purposes , as I find my desktop computer serves me well for any other needs. I know our thoughts differ there, but I just want a reliable scanner for my V W Ute, and I am grateful for your advice towards the Ross-Tech. But being really dumb about computer terms and specs, I would sure appreciate some advice regarding what you see on Amazon - I see some refurbished units that have Windows 10 on them for $96 to $119 , but I don't know if they have the power that Ross Tech requires. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated !! Ben

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
I'm having a hard time; finding something in the $150 or less, price point (most that are that cheap; are not running Microsoft Windows 10 or really old computers running Windows 7 or earlier; then, they are Chromebooks or Android type tablets, which won't run VCDS). For new or refurbished computers with a actual warranty and support; they seem to be in the $200-$400+ range. A second hand computer; from a private individual, could possibly acquired for $150 or less, possibly free? Some sites, sell older used computers but I would recommend that; it is worth getting something that is relatively current technology. That way, it would be usable, have Windows 10, decent processor and you will be able to be compatible, similar to what you use everyday, on your desktop Dell computer.

I noticed, you mentioned you owned a Dell PC: if you prefer their products, you might look at their refurb website and chat with a Dell rep, discuss the VCDS computer requirements and see, what they offer, that would fit your needs:

Typical sites, like: Staples, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, NewEgg, etc.; always seem to have something on sale, refurbs, used customer return/open box, etc.

Here is a search; on amazon, for a tablet/notebook in the 11" screen and smaller with a dual or quad core processor. There are some chinese oddball no name brand products; I would stick with the better known brands: hp, dell, lenovo, etc.

We are moving into the holiday season; so, black friday type sales, should be hitting the web soon.

deal news and tech bargains; are good sites, to check daily, for specials on computers:

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Things to keep in mind; when looking for a computer to run VCDS:

1.14 What versions of Windows does VCDS work on?

Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 are considered "supported". VCDS will probably still work on Windows XP and Vista, but we are no longer testing it on these outdated versions. Windows versions older than XP (95, 98, ME, NT4, or 2000) almost certainly won't work.​
1.15 Will VCDS work on Windows 10?

Yes, all current versions of VCDS and VCDS-Lite are fully compatible with Windows 10. VCDS does not work on Windows 10 running in "S mode", because "S mode" prevents software from being installed from any source other than the Microsoft Store. If wish to use VCDS on a computer that came with the "S" version of Windows, you'll have to switch it to run in Home or Pro mode. If you're using an old version of VCDS or VCDS-Lite that isn't working with Windows 10, please update.​
1.16 Will VCDS work on Microsoft Surface tablets?

There are two versions of these tablets, "Surface" and "Surface Pro". The regular "Surface" tablets are based on ARM CPUs running "Windows RT" and have no compatibility with normal Windows "Desktop" programs. The regular Windows-based version VCDS will not work on these, but VCDS-Mobile does. The "Surface Pro" tablets use Intel CPUs and Windows 8 Pro, and VCDS will works fine on them.​

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
The founder of Ross Tech, Uwe Ross; currently was recommending something like a Microsoft Surface Go 2 or on the high end a Pro 7, neither within the stated budget, mentioned (maybe older versions would work)?.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Keep in mind I’m not a computer guy, I could live my whole life without them and would prefer to, however that’s not really something that can be done in today’s world. If you want fast and over powered you have to spend the fast bucks. +$1000

I’ve had no issues with this one and it seems to work great for vcds.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks to you both for the great information. Looks like I have learned that I must expand my budget some in order to get the proper item. But, if that's what it is, I'll dig thru all the sites and find the best deal I can. You know, when I refurbished everything under the hood of this vehicle, I took the advice you had given to others many times , when you said over and over to stay with the name band parts, like Bosch, for example. I did that with every part, and rebuilt the entire fuel system, electrical system, timing belt ,water pump & belt, new struts, brakes , and as a result the vehicle rides and drives like new ! About 10 days ago the odometer rolled over to 80,000 miles, so it's just getting broken in. Anyway, my point is, I have followed your advice since joining the forum, and have always been pleased with the information you have given. So now is not the time for me to start being a cheapo - right ?
Like I said before, I just want a good V W scanner tool.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Not yet, unfortunately. Way back in 1976 I had the swine flu , and it was a serious case. I've had 4 or 5 times it has made it's presents known , and last week it came back again. Really knocked me down. At 76, it's harder to recover and feel like doing or thinking about much, but I'll get back with it soon. Thanks for keeping me in mind !

21 - 35 of 35 Posts