NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2003 Turbo Beetle and have always been putting Super Unleaded Gasoline in it. Due to the rising costs of gasoline I have recently started putting regular unleaded into it. Is this safe for me to do?

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
GCOOK67 said:
Hello,

I have a 2003 Turbo Beetle and have always been putting Super Unleaded Gasoline in it. Due to the rising costs of gasoline I have recently started putting regular unleaded into it. Is this safe for me to do?
NO. If you use lower than the recommended octane in a 1.8T, the ECU will retard the firing sequence, and you will be operating at reduced power and higher emissions.

In most places, high octane gas, 91-94, is 20 cents per gallon more expensive than low octane, 87 and 10 cents more expensive than mid-grade or 89. Assuming your tank is bone dry, 14.5 gallons means you are saving at most $2.90 per tank using lower octane gas. Compare that saving to how much you paid for your Bug, and you'll see that there are a WHOLE lot better ways to save money.:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
The 1.8T was rated for 91 octane. You could always do a blend of 93 and 87 to save a little bit. Basically 8 gallons of 93 and 6 gallons of 87 would do.

Too much hassle I think.... Just use 93 octane..

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
roamerr said:
The 1.8T was rated for 91 octane. You could always do a blend of 93 and 87 to save a little bit. Basically 8 gallons of 93 and 6 gallons of 87 would do.

Too much hassle I think.... Just use 93 octane..
Ive heard this doesnt work because the gases dont mix right. ????

Just use 91 or higher.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts