NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, this site is for New Beetle enthusiasts. What will happen when the plain Beetle arrives in a few weeks? Will this site embrace the 2012+ Beetle owners and perhaps change its name to "WatercooledBeetle.org" or will it just cater to owners of 98-10 NBs that are now discontinued? Those of us who went to Roswell this past June have decided to include the upcoming Beetles in future gatherings, but what about ToD and/or other gtgs that had just NBs until now? Will 2012+ Beetles be turned away?

I for one think this site should embrace the next gen Beetles and change its name to "Waterbugs" or some facsimile. To me, there are two basic Beetles: old-school air-cooled and 98+ water-cooled. Period. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
20,823 Posts
The 2012 Beetle will be very much welcomed to our community- after all, it's a beetle:D

I do think it would be a good idea for the 2012 Beetle to have it's own subgroup. Just as there is a "other rides" section, I think in the spirit of the beetle, it deserves it's own subgroup; It's deserving of one and shouldn't be buried in the other rides section.

The org should remain "newbeetle.org". Maybe the subtitle could be changed to "the ultimate source for new beetle & nex-gen beetle enthusiasts".

It would be sill for the B12 to be excluded from new beetle events- I know they'll be welcome to ToD and Roswell also. I'm sure this will be the pattern elsewhere.

I have sent a PM to the big-cheese Admins about a new sub-heading for the B12, but no response. Maybe if more of us will squeak the wheels, we can at least get a response.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do think it would be a good idea for the 2012 Beetle to have it's own subgroup. Just as there is a "other rides" section, I think in the spirit of the beetle, it deserves it's own subgroup; It's deserving of one and shouldn't be buried in the other rides section.

The org should remain "newbeetle.org". Maybe the subtitle could be changed to "the ultimate source for new beetle & nex-gen beetle enthusiasts".
There you go. That's a great idea. ;) BTW, I saw your name on a Vortex thread and said Hi. Over there, I'm fortysomething.I wanted to change my Tex handle to fiftysomething when I hit my 5th decade, but for whatever reason, they kept ignoring my request. After a while, I gave up.

As for me, I plan on having both a New Beetle AND a 2012+ Beetle! I would love to form a watercooled Beetle club, but it would be tough finding interested people in my area. I'm really hoping that the next Beetle will stir a huge interest so this has a real chance of happening.

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,146 Posts
Nobody will be turned away. The 2012 Beetle is still a Beetle, and it will be welcomed like the rest. Not to mention, there are still THOUSANDS of members who are keeping their "New" 1998-2010 Beetle.

And I really don't want the website to change it's name or anything. Only a few of the members are planning on getting 2012s. There is absolutely no point to change an entire website for a few members, when there will still be thousands of people coming and going here that drive the 'new' beetle :)

As it turns out, I *may* be selling my double yellow color concept and getting a 2012. But we're waiting until they arrive so I can SEE one in person.

I love my 2002 1.8T, but as I've got a bad back, driving a 5-speed manual in stop and go traffic can be a real bear sometimes. So, I'm considering one of the 2.5 auto's , or maybe a base model 2.0 turbo. We shall see. Kinda waiting for VW to update their website to show the U.S. options and such. It's getting kind of late in the game and VW has NO U.S. Beetle stuff on their site yet. U.K. and Germany have had theirs for months. :)
X2!!!!!!!!!!!! This site should ALWAYS be dedicated primarily to our wonderful little New Beetles 1998-2010 Yes, welcome the Beetle with open arms!!! After all it is FAMILY:)

·
Super Moderator
20,823 Posts
Nobody will be turned away. The 2012 Beetle is still a Beetle, and it will be welcomed like the rest. Not to mention, there are still THOUSANDS of members who are keeping their "New" 1998-2010 Beetle.

And I really don't want the website to change it's name or anything. Only a few of the members are planning on getting 2012s. There is absolutely no point to change an entire website for a few members, when there will still be thousands of people coming and going here that drive the 'new' beetle :)

As it turns out, I *may* be selling my double yellow color concept and getting a 2012. But we're waiting until they arrive so I can SEE one in person.

I love my 2002 1.8T, but as I've got a bad back, driving a 5-speed manual in stop and go traffic can be a real bear sometimes. So, I'm considering one of the 2.5 auto's , or maybe a base model 2.0 turbo. We shall see. Kinda waiting for VW to update their website to show the U.S. options and such. It's getting kind of late in the game and VW has NO U.S. Beetle stuff on their site yet. U.K. and Germany have had theirs for months. :)
X2!!!!!!!!!!!! This site should ALWAYS be dedicated primarily to our wonderful little New Beetles 1998-2010 Yes, welcome the Beetle with open arms!!! After all it is FAMILY:)
Agreed with both of your points. But I do think that the B2 should have at the least it's own subgroup in the forums. True enough there's gonna be a few nB owners trading up and getting a B2. But keep in mind that as it was with the nB, so it will be with the B2; first time B2 owners will look for a forum to express their beetle passion, just as we did with our purchase. What better place for them to come to than the org. If they at least have their own subgroup, they'll have a beetle haven here.

The org will always be newbeetle.org; still it would be nice to see the community to grow, even if it's adding the B2 to the fold.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
But I do think that the B2 should have at the least it's own subgroup in the forums. True enough there's gonna be a few nB owners trading up and getting a B2. But keep in mind that as it was with the nB, so it will be with the B2; first time B2 owners will look for a forum to express their beetle passion, just as we did with our purchase. What better place for them to come to than the org. If they at least have their own subgroup, they'll have a beetle haven here.

The org will always be newbeetle.org; still it would be nice to see the community to grow, even if it's adding the B2 to the fold.
Yeah, Audi B2 chassis are pretty hot!!!! I'm glad to see they're making a comeback!

or were you talking about the VW B2 Passat?

I'm confused? :confused:

·
9,487 Posts
I don't believe it was either. I would assume "B2" in this instance refers to Beetle 2, the second-generation water-cooled Beetle. I can see where that would be confusing, though.
I know that, i was poking fun. But once you get out of the new beetle bubble and see the whole vw/audi scene as a whole. Lettering like that actually means something.

VW:
A1/mk1, A2/mk2, A3/mk3, A4/mk4/new beetle, A5/mk5, A6/mk6

VW/Audi:
B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, Bx

Just Audi:
C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, D1, D2, D3, D4.

i could go on.

I'm not completely sure what the 12 beetle chassis consists of (american mk6 jetta as far as i've heard)

But hearing people use B1, B2 and B3 on this board referring to 98-05, 06-11 and 12+, or B1 for 98-11 and B2 for 12+, and somehow it keeps on changing back and forth, it really grinds my geeky gears.

I just refer to it as the '12 beetle. Because it's definitely not a new beetle. Nor will it ever be in my book, but we can't go on make believing it has it's own chassis designation, when it doesn't.

I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to clarify.

·
Super Moderator
20,823 Posts
Yeah, Audi B2 chassis are pretty hot!!!! I'm glad to see they're making a comeback!

or were you talking about the VW B2 Passat?

I'm confused? :confused:
I don't believe it was either. I would assume "B2" in this instance refers to Beetle 2, the second-generation water-cooled Beetle. I can see where that would be confusing, though.
I know that, i was poking fun. But once you get out of the new beetle bubble and see the whole vw/audi scene as a whole. Lettering like that actually means something.

VW:
A1/mk1, A2/mk2, A3/mk3, A4/mk4/new beetle, A5/mk5, A6/mk6

VW/Audi:
B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, Bx

Just Audi:
C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, D1, D2, D3, D4.

i could go on.

I'm not completely sure what the 12 beetle chassis consists of (american mk6 jetta as far as i've heard)

But hearing people use B1, B2 and B3 on this board referring to 98-05, 06-11 and 12+, or B1 for 98-11 and B2 for 12+, and somehow it keeps on changing back and forth, it really grinds my geeky gears.

I just refer to it as the '12 beetle. Because it's definitely not a new beetle. Nor will it ever be in my book, but we can't go on make believing it has it's own chassis designation, when it doesn't.

I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to clarify.
Oh Snap!!! That's right... Audi DOES have the B2 designation )))sonrt(((. Silly of me to forget that!

And yeah, i knew you were poking at me Jose. You're one crazy dude:D

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've probably said this before, but I also hope that with the introduction of the 12+ Beetle, the now discontinued New Beetles of 98-10 will get the classic car status they rightfully deserve at VW shows right alongside the Beetles from 79 on down. Yeah, I know they have to be 25 years old in the technical sense, but you know what I mean, right?

Just think: In 2023, the first New Beetles will be eligible for collector plates! :D

·
9,487 Posts
I've probably said this before, but I also hope that with the introduction of the 12+ Beetle, the now discontinued New Beetles of 98-10 will get the classic car status they rightfully deserve at VW shows right alongside the Beetles from 79 on down. Yeah, I know they have to be 25 years old in the technical sense, but you know what I mean, right?

Just think: In 2023, the first New Beetles will be eligible for collector plates! :D
Sadly, that will never happen. The air cooled crowd will never fully accept it. All they see is a round golf (which is what it actually is.)

Before the new beetle will be accepted, the 70's, 80's and 90's watercooled vw's have to be accepted, and well, they aren't.

They are 2 completely different scenes, and while they do co-inside at times, they will never truly merge. I just hope the new beetle will get the same respect that the Scirocco and Coraddo gets.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Well, I'm fairly certain it won't turn into a pumpkin!:rolleyes:

M.:D

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sadly, that will never happen. The air cooled crowd will never fully accept it. All they see is a round golf (which is what it actually is.)

Before the new beetle will be accepted, the 70's, 80's and 90's watercooled vw's have to be accepted, and well, they aren't.

They are 2 completely different scenes, and while they do co-inside at times, they will never truly merge. I just hope the new beetle will get the same respect that the Scirocco and Coraddo gets.
I'm holding out optimism that one day the New Beetle will become just as much a classic as the old air-cooleds. For starters, 21.5 million air-cooled Beetles were built compared with maybe 1.5 million New Beetles, so NBs will be less common and thus rare collectables.

You're definitely right about the division between air-cooled crowds and water-cooled crowds, though. I'm going to be so bold as to say there are actually 3 VW camps: air-cooled people stuck in 1967, water-cooled twentysomethings with heavily modded Golfs, Jettas, Audis, Sciroccos, and Corrados, and middle-aged people like me who have discovered that New Beetles are like Cadillacs when compared with the old air-cooled models. :D

My group is certainly in the minority when it comes to the VW scene, but there are some NB die-hards. The key is to find other like-minded people and form water-cooled Beetle clubs.

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,146 Posts
Agreed with both of your points. But I do think that the B2 should have at the least it's own subgroup in the forums. True enough there's gonna be a few nB owners trading up and getting a B2. But keep in mind that as it was with the nB, so it will be with the B2; first time B2 owners will look for a forum to express their beetle passion, just as we did with our purchase. What better place for them to come to than the org. If they at least have their own subgroup, they'll have a beetle haven here.

I agree! There should definately be a sub group. When they go on sale maybe even congratulating them and inviting them to join up with us. You are right we want our comrades who do trade for this Beetle, they should always feel welcomed here. When I was without a New Beetle, in my a.c. Doodle, I still felt this was home for me. :) Also when they do trade up, it is going to be danged hard for them not to say the words "new beelte" in the description ;)..for instance: Al you should see "New Beetle 2" I got. :)

·
9,487 Posts
I'm holding out optimism that one day the New Beetle will become just as much a classic as the old air-cooleds. For starters, 21.5 million air-cooled Beetles were built compared with maybe 1.5 million New Beetles, so NBs will be less common and thus rare collectables.

You're definitely right about the division between air-cooled crowds and water-cooled crowds, though. I'm going to be so bold as to say there are actually 3 VW camps: air-cooled people stuck in 1967, water-cooled twentysomethings with heavily modded Golfs, Jettas, Audis, Sciroccos, and Corrados, and middle-aged people like me who have discovered that New Beetles are like Cadillacs when compared with the old air-cooled models. :D

My group is certainly in the minority when it comes to the VW scene, but there are some NB die-hards. The key is to find other like-minded people and form water-cooled Beetle clubs.
Although I agree with you. Not all the "water-cooled twentysomethings" like the heavily modded scene. I do agree that when the new beetle does get 30+ years old, there will still be a cult-like following, like the air-cooleds and the mk1 people.

People with the minty stock mk1 rabbits, cabbys, caddys, and sciroccos get just as much attention at gtgs and shows than the people who stick turbo vr6's, slammed to the ground suspension, and ludicrously large wheels on them. As well as everything in between.

Yes, "new beetle people" I believe are a different breed of enthusiast, but that's not always a good thing. Some had an air cooled when they were younger, for some, they've been in the water cooled camp and wanted something different, and for some this is or was their first and vw :)wave: guilty here). So there plenty of differing ideas of what these cars mean to all of us, but somehow we manage to get along, for the most part, a lot better than other enthusiast forums.

So I know, now i've been beetle-less for almost 5 years now, and plenty of people on here wish i'd go away, but I won't. From very early on, newbeetle.org has been a very welcoming place for me, and it's become more of a home for me, than a forum. I am very protective of the people I consider like my 2nd family here on the org. The people who i mean, know it too.

So I say, bring on the '12 owners, we will set aside a little corner for you, and hopefully we can all get along.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm holding out optimism that one day the New Beetle will become just as much a classic as the old air-cooleds. For starters, 21.5 million air-cooled Beetles were built compared with maybe 1.5 million New Beetles, so NBs will be less common and thus rare collectables..
Keep hoping because I don't forsee this ever happening, just like a past co-worker thought that the Geo's would become equally as classic.......The AC VW's are and always will be a classic icon in the automotive world, for it's absolute simplistic mode of transportation, nothing fancy just a means of transportation that a hell of a lot of drivers grew up with..

You're definitely right about the division between air-cooled crowds and water-cooled crowds, though...
With good reason your trying to compare apples to oranges it will never be any different.......

I'm going to be so bold as to say there are actually 3 VW camps: air-cooled people stuck in 1967, water-cooled twentysomethings with heavily modded Golfs, Jettas, Audis, Sciroccos, and Corrados, and middle-aged people like me who have discovered that New Beetles are like Cadillacs when compared with the old air-cooled models. :D
You forgot a group the ones who have both a AC and a WC beetle, I for one would prefer to drive my AC beetle, who needs A/C,airbags and seatbelts anyways? I drove my 65 for 20 years never got injured in it (working on it yes, driving it no) wife said I needed a safer car. 20 years no wrecks/injuries how much safer can you get?........ I ask you can you do an engine swap on your NEW BEETLE with a handful of tools? I can do an engine swap on a A/C Beetle with a floor jack 17mm wrench,screwdriver and a pair of pliers....

Everyone seems to think the 2012 version isn't going to be a New Beetle.....News Flash people it is and will be the NEWEST BEETLE.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First of all, Volkswagens are Volkswagens and thus there should be no cliques, but sadly, there are. My club welcome ALL VWs whether you have a vintage Split Window Beetle or a 2010 Passat Wagon.

I still believe the 98-10 NBs will become classics in their own right in about 20 years. (if not sooner). Yes, the old air-cooled Beetles will always be older, but cars of today will also get older. In 1957, I would imagine that a Chevy Belair was as common as a Ford Fusion is today. But look at them now. GEO's were just disposable cars that were soon forgotten like a Plymouth Horizon or a Chevy Vega.

I too used to have air-cooled Beetles, but for me the "modern" Beetles are a better choice. The old ones may have been simple, but with a mechanical idiot like me, it didn't matter. I take my NB religiously to the dealership for timely maintenance and have had no problems whatsoever. My old 69 on the other hand broke down on me 6 different times leaving me stranded hundreds of miles from home.

People like me who don't even know how to change a spark plug have no business driving a car with 1930s technology. The New Beetle is perfect, because I can still be a Bug lover without the grief of breakdowns.

·
Super Moderator
20,823 Posts
First of all, Volkswagens are Volkswagens and thus there should be no cliques, but sadly, there are. My club welcome ALL VWs whether you have a vintage Split Window Beetle or a 2010 Passat Wagon.

I still believe the 98-10 NBs will become classics in their own right in about 20 years. (if not sooner). Yes, the old air-cooled Beetles will always be older, but cars of today will also get older. In 1957, I would imagine that a Chevy Belair was as common as a Ford Fusion is today. But look at them now. GEO's were just disposable cars that were soon forgotten like a Plymouth Horizon or a Chevy Vega.

I too used to have air-cooled Beetles, but for me the "modern" Beetles are a better choice. The old ones may have been simple, but with a mechanical idiot like me, it didn't matter. I take my NB religiously to the dealership for timely maintenance and have had no problems whatsoever. My old 69 on the other hand broke down on me 6 different times leaving me stranded hundreds of miles from home.

People like me who don't even know how to change a spark plug have no business driving a car with 1930s technology. The New Beetle is perfect, because I can still be a Bug lover without the grief of breakdowns.
I think you've got some truth to your take on the nB being a classic. Sure, it might not be as enduring as a '57 Chevy or a 66 Mustang, but it'll be a classic nonetheless- at least in years it will be:D

Funny you mentioned a Plymouth Horizon:lol:. I loved those little cars back in the day... well at least it's counterpart, the Dodge Omni. I spent quite a bit of cash back in the day renting them for out of town trips- ahh, good times:D

Funny to think the the Vega and even the Pinto are classics now... even an AMC Pacer:lol:

·
Registered
668 Posts
The main point of my post was to make you guys realize that this is NEWBEETLE.ORG and the 2012 is the newest BEETLE available so therefore nothing will change on this website nor should it.
It is still the NEWBEETLE.ORG and the 2012 will be the newest BEETLE. End of story.
This is not 98-10 NEWBEETLE.ORG it's NEWBEETLE.ORG regardless of year designation.

So where's the issue?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts