NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have codes saying both my o2 sensors are bad and the car idles weird from a vacuum leak or in need of a TBA. My aunt was saying she read on a forum that driving with bad o2 sensors can ruin the ecu/ecm and it will cause the car to jerk and stall when driving. Is this true?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
First I doubt both 02 sensors are bad, likely there are DTC trouble codes that "mention" O2 sensors, but just because the sensor name is in a fault does does not mean they are bad.

You mention the idle is bad, possible from a vacuum leak, then this may be the source of your trouble codes that "mention" the O2 sensors.

Driving a car with "bad" O2 sensor(s) will NOT damage the ECU, continued driving any car or truck with bad sensors or poor fuel control systems for extended periods could cause catalytic convertor damage which may clog the exhaust and reduce engine power.

Suggest you provide DTC trouble code information along with Freeze Frame data for review and comment. For $35 or under you can get a smart phone App and interface and have your own OBDII tool that can read and clear codes as well as display Live/Real Time and Freeze Frame data.

Read the first link below in my signature.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
First check the fuses, there is probably a single fuse for the heater circuits. You may have a single shorted heater on an O2 sensor that blew the fuse, that then is showing up as 2 O2 sensor heater errors?

Please provide exact codes.

A shorted heater wire on a VW could be an issue with the ECU due to the stupid design that VW implemented. But the O2 sensor heater problem should not cause the engine to jerk and stall.

But driving the car with the O2 sensor heaters not working just means the car take longer to get into closed loop during the warm up phase, it could cause some long term issues, but not likely.

Get codes read, sounds like you need to invest in an OBDII scan tool, $35 or less, read this - OBD Scan Tool Info - http://newbeetle.org/forums/question...e-options.html

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The fuse to check would be #43. The MAF, EVAP purge and secondary air injection use the same fuse. I suppose the engine may run without it but there would be lots of problems.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a scanner I just don't have it or the car with me right now. I will scan my car today and post the codes here and then check fuse 43. Thank you for all replys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts