NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the long term implications if I don't replace the MAF? I'm getting Bank 1 Lean codes, and the dealer says it's the MAF. Can't replace it now. Will I hurt the car long term running lean? It sure feels like it's running fine.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Des,

Thanks for the reply. I've got a '98 2.0 with 85,000 miles on it. The dealer said that there was not a recall on the MAF, but rather an extended warranty on the MAF, but only to 70,000 miles. So, they won't replace it for free.

Thanks.

Brent

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Last one I bought was $37.75 from www.1stvwparts.com.

Long term implications of running lean is you could burn a valve... which would require to remove the head, grind the valves (reseat them), replace with new head gasket kits. Could probably get it done for under $1000.

Personally, I'd spend the $38. :)

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
For the very short term, just unplug the MAF. The ECU will use the default fuel map, and run in open-loop mode. The result is that you maybe running a bit rich at that point. Which can cause the cat to clog. Cheaper than a valve job.
But, for $38, best to get a new one.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
hannaco said:
For the very short term, just unplug the MAF. The ECU will use the default fuel map, and run in open-loop mode. The result is that you maybe running a bit rich at that point. Which can cause the cat to clog. Cheaper than a valve job.
But, for $38, best to get a new one.
Yeah, for christs sake, I just spent $130(Canadian) for:

Cracked vacuum hose
Needed New Plugs
1 new plug wire (under warranty)

If you can't cough up $38, you really can't afford to be driving that car.

SMG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts