NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My apologies if this has already been posted - I just came across it while looking for rumours regarding the 2018 Beetle. I did not find anything about that, but this old thread talking about the last redesign popped up. I absolutely love the concept, and feel like it is 10x better than the new Beetle (2011? 2012?) that we got, which, by comparison, is so clunky. Also interesting is, if you click on the link and scroll down, they show pics of the new Beetles with ROUND taillights. Thoughts?

New Bug Concept from Volkswagen, It’s Beetle!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
This concept drawing is as old as Methusala. This was a non-vw artist's "concept" rendering, on a take for the 2012 beetle.
If history tells us anything, VW will remain tight lipped, not disclosing any info until a spy photo of a test mule shows up.

Ant to add, the next Beetle will be on the MBQ platform. This artist's rendering is too much of a MK4 platform; a far cry from the MBQ.

The drawing is good and all, albeit a bit squatty for my liking. Still, it's a drawing of a beetle of days past.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh - yeah -- sorry if i didn't make that clear. This was an old rendering of what the LAST redesign might look like (I forget if it was 2011 or 2012). I was just saying that I liked it so much more than what we actually got.

I do agree with Squeebug that the front is a bit off, but overall I love this design.

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
Oh - yeah -- sorry if i didn't make that clear. This was an old rendering of what the LAST redesign might look like (I forget if it was 2011 or 2012). I was just saying that I liked it so much more than what we actually got.

I do agree with Squeebug that the front is a bit off, but overall I love this design.
No worries :)
It is one of the better renderings that came out back in the day. The drawing does embrace the new beetle's overall shape, which is cool. However since VW was wanting to do an entirely new beetle- an evolution in the water-cooled beetle, that rendering didn't make sense; for it's look basically resembled the car design they were departing from.

In the evolutionary scope of the beetle, I'm happy with the 12+ Beetle. Would be nice if the rear tails were round though.

But yeah, the drawing looks good. One of the better looking renderings; a whole lot better than this horrid concept IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The blue concept might be a little better if they fixed the headlights.

What I don't like about the 2012+ Beetles is that they are TOO BIG. Plus the taillights are all wrong, and the back end looks funny (that said, I think putting a spoiler on it seems to greatly improve the looks).

Do you ever think they would go back to rear-engine for 2018? If the Renault Twingo can do it, why can't VW? And it needs to be smaller again, to compete with the Fiat 500 and with Mini.

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
That's funny, Al, because I actually loved that blue concept that you called horrid! :D I was hoping for something close to that in 2012......It reminded me of some of Ferdinand Porsche's early 1930s prototypes.

It's all good Pat- to each his own, right? :D

The blue concept might be a little better if they fixed the headlights.

What I don't like about the 2012+ Beetles is that they are TOO BIG. Plus the taillights are all wrong, and the back end looks funny (that said, I think putting a spoiler on it seems to greatly improve the looks).

Do you ever think they would go back to rear-engine for 2018? If the Renault Twingo can do it, why can't VW? And it needs to be smaller again, to compete with the Fiat 500 and with Mini.
Yeah, the headlights on the concept are all wrong to me. Then again it's a concept so there you go :)

With the MBQ platform, it doesn't seem as if a smaller beetle would work.

Im good with the 12+ tails. However, I do think round tails would be sweet on them. I've been thinking about getting these daisy tail light covers, dremel out the petals, to make round tail light covers, color-keyed to my beetle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know...Porsche somehow makes their rear-engined cars safe (and I am sure the Twingo passed some sort of safety checks, though I am not sure what that involves in Europe).

scarabY2k -- I love the dremel idea. Did you click on the original link I posted? There are pics of the newer Beetle with rounds lights....I guess they were thinking about it at one point. I posted one pic here to make it easier to view.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
It will be interesting to see; how vw deals with refresh issues. With the new beetle is was 1998-2006; which is 8 years and even then, it wasn't a total redo but a just exterior changes, engine/trans differences, to a similar chassis from the original 2006-2010, (4 more years). For some reason; the Beetle has taken longer to change to chassis/Golf overall platform advances; maybe the new chassis changes, will force this? In the earlier New Beetle; VW had no issue with continuing to produce a car with a old platform for over 12 years. I guess the question is; how seriously, these new platform paradigms will affect Volkswagen development cycles and if ALL the models will be implemented right away.

More info on the MQB platform:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=volkswagen+mqb+technology

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
scarabY2k -- I love the dremel idea. Did you click on the original link I posted? There are pics of the newer Beetle with rounds lights....I guess they were thinking about it at one point. I posted one pic here to make it easier to view.
Hey that's the ticket!
The round tails look great on that test mule.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts