NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used 2007 Beetle 2.5 with 125,000 on it. Runs good most of the time. If it idles for 10 minutes or more and gets hot it will start missing and will eventually cut off. After cooling it will start and run fine. There seems to be a problem with something heating up and malfunctioning. I have replaced the Mass Flow and O2 sensors. Will plug coils malfunction when they get hot. Codes show misfires and lean bank. If I park it hot, it will not crank till it cools down. Seems heat is the common element. Actually runs great when it is cool and going down the road.Tries to crank, just misfires to much to catch up.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
11,807 Posts
Please post any and all trouble codes; coil packs and crank/speed sensor come to mind. The coil packs failing; is a known issue, on the 1.8Ts they had a recall on the coil packs, so you might call your local vw dealer and if there are any open recalls, you might get yours fixed for free (what do you have to lose?). If your coils are failing; you can switch them from one cylinder to the next, if the trouble codes goes to the next cylinder, then you know the coil pack is bad. When buying coil packs; do NOT buy aftermarket junk from the typical auto parts store; buy oem from your local VW dealer... that way you know you are getting a quality part. The coil packs are failure prone and buying cheap aftermarket ones will just cause more problems and premature failures.

Another known issue; is the pcv valve failure on the 2.5L, causes rough, uneven idle issues and would be something to check.

read this thread for more info:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-5-liter-gas/65633-re-2-5l-pcv-valve-failure-solutions-dorman.html

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

I unplugged the new Mass Air Sensor and it did not have any impact. I have VCDS Lite but really don't know what to look for. I can get the codes off that also. These codes are from the scanner
Here are the VCDS Codes

.VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Tuesday, 13 May 2014, 08:34:44.
Control Module Part Number: 07K 906 032 AC
Component and/or Version: NB/C R5 AT G 9036
Software Coding: 0000003
Work Shop Code: WSC 00066
VCID: 6AA741AB0567
9 Faults Found:
000369 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1: System Too Lean
P0171 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
001290 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P050A - 002 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
008577 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P2181 - 008 - Please Register/Activate
000258 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
P0102 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
000275 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0113 - 002 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
000768 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0300 - 001 - Please Register/Activate
000773 - Cylinder 5: Misfire Detected
P0305 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded
000771 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0303 - 001 - Please Register/Activate
000772 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0304 - 001 - Please Register/Activate

It really seems like a air/fuel mixture problem. Is there anyway to check throttle Body intake for problems. Could heat affect the this?

·
Registered
11,807 Posts
You can look up the codes here:

Ross-Tech Wiki

You have misfires; cylinder 3, 4, 5, and many other codes, look them up. My first thought; would be a fuel delivery problem; I would do a fuel pressure test, many fuel pumps start acting up, failing when they get hot. You can get a fuel pressure tester at most auto parts stores; harbor freight has them for cheap. (google search for an extra 20% off coupon). Look up in the bentley service manual for specs and testing procedures (check the pressure regulator as well).

Fuel Pressure Tester & Fuel Injection Pump Tester

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I did not get a chance to check pressure yet but wanted to thank you for replying. I was looking around the forum and you have helped a lot of people. I think it shows what a generous character you have for taking your time to offer your experience to so many people. I commend you for what you have done and continue to do.:):)

·
Registered
11,807 Posts
Hey thanks for the compliment; I try to help where I can! There are many helpful members here and we all want to get our cars repaired, back on the road! :) it can be a real challenge to keep these cars running; it is always helpful to hear other people's experiences and learn from them, rather than reinventing the wheel! :) I have learned a lot from other members on this site and I hope to return the favor by helping others if I am able to! :) no one member knows everything but with the combined knowledge of everyone; all these resources here can be very powerful and really help everyone keep their cars all in good working order! Let's get your car fixed! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AutoZone Loan-a-Tool Fuel Pressure Kit no help

Went to Auto Zone and got their Fuel Pressure Loan-a-tool kit. It does not have an adaptor that will fit the schrader value on the fuel rail. They didn't have any ideas for me. They said VWs had an odd size valve. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

·
Registered
11,807 Posts
I don't know about the 2.5L but when I tested the fuel pressure on the 1.8T; I just removed the rubber hose from the fuel rail, connected the gauge there and then added an additional rubber hose to the fuel rail connection, to complete the connections and put hose clamps on everything. I was using the cheap harbor freight kit; I don't know what the AZ kit looks like but I would assume it is similar?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went back and got the loaner pressure test kit and have it installed with a T connection now. Pressure is about 26 at idle. The car has not yet started to misfire. I'm letting it get hot. Doesn't seem to want to act up now.

·
Registered
11,807 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just cleared the codes and will see what happens. If you are online and want me to do any special test, just reply.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have found a receipt for a new fuel pump that was installed in 2012. The coils and plugs were also changed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can hear an injector start making a louder than normal clicking sound after it sits and idle for a couple on minutes. Fuel Pressure??

1 - 20 of 69 Posts