NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is ABS, ASR, ESP and EDL? Click here for the answer.

1999-2006 New Beetles

ABS (antilock braking system)

There are sensors on the hubs that monitor wheel speed.

If one or more wheels exceed a predetermined maximum

deacceleration rate it will automaitically pulse that brake or

brakes untill the deacceleration rate goes back with in

parameters. (can not be turned off)

1.8T's

EDL (electronic diferential lock)

For speeds up to 25mph the ECU uses the ABS sensors to determine if

one front wheel is spinning faster than the preset parameters

and will apply braking pressure to the faster spinning wheel

to get the other one up to speed.

It will not prevent wheel spin only allow both wheels to spin

at the same rate. (can not be turned off)

1999-2001 1.8T

ASR. (anti slip regulator)

A traction control system that uses the ABS sensors on all

four wheels to determine if the front wheels are

spinning faster than the rear wheels. ASR will then use the

DBW (drive by wire) throttle to back off power

untill the front and rear wheels are accelerating at the same

rate. You can turn this off when wheel spin is desirable.

TurboS and all 2002-2005 Turbo models and 200?-2006 TDI models

ESP.(electronic stability program)

Combines all the features of EDL, ASR and ABS plus adds Yaw

sensors to determine if the vehicle is begining to

spin. In these cases it will use the DBW and ABS to bring the

vehicle back in line. It will touch a brake, back

off power or accelerate to control the spin.

It is still possible to spin out the vehicle but it raises the

limits in emergancy manuevers and loose and

slippery conditions.

When you turn off ESP you are turning off the ASR functions

and the ability for the vehicle to automatically

control a spin. This is desirerable in loose heavy gravel,

Deep snow, race tracks, and when trying to acheive

maxinum acceleration (such as in the 1/4 mile)

·
Bug me again!
2,758 Posts
What about the '98? Mine doesn't seem to have ABS tho the dealer insists it does:rolleyes:

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
LadybugEwa said:
What about the '98? Mine doesn't seem to have ABS tho the dealer insists it does:rolleyes:
You'd know it eventually if you had ABS. Ever slam the brakes really hard? Did you screech or go "chugga-chugga-chugga-chugga"? Chugga would hint at ABS. :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
in 98 models, No ASR.. (ESP wasn't availible at that time on VW)

but all NBs have ABS... til 98 to 2006 models..

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
I have a question about the ABS light. The man was driving my car on sat and he said it came on. My car sat all weekend and when I drove it this morning it wasnt on all the way to work (10 minutes) Would stopping very quickly make it come on? He would never admit to me if he had to slam on the brakes for any reason. If he didnt what else could cause it to come on and then just go off?
I read my owner's manual and it didnt tell me anything :(

·
18,312 Posts
I got my answer from the dealer. They told me most likely one of the wheel speed sensors is bad. Going in on the 19th to have it fixed. Damn, I'm going to practically have a brand new car by the time they're done with her! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Amy, I had to slam on my brakes once in my Jetta... the light came on (telling me my ABS wasnt working) and then finally the light turned off (meaning it was working) and never bothered me again. I took it in and everything was in working order... so I think it just was sensitive after I slammed them.

·
18,312 Posts
Breez said:
Amy, I had to slam on my brakes once in my Jetta... the light came on (telling me my ABS wasnt working) and then finally the light turned off (meaning it was working) and never bothered me again. I took it in and everything was in working order... so I think it just was sensitive after I slammed them.
Thanks Bree but after I got into my car the day I wrote the above post the ABS light came on :mad: so tonight Im dropping her off at the dealer for her appointment tomorrow to get that fixed. She's also gettin' an oil change. Im suprised! I thought it would be way expensive to have the oil changed at the dealer. They're charging me less than most places I have gone!

·
Registered
28 Posts
What needs to be done if I am having problems with my ABS? My ABS light is on normally but when it goes out and I am coming to a stop, the brakes start jerking the car and the pedal turns to soup. While it's doing this I can hear what I think is a pump working. A dealer said it "can be" bad valves in the braking system. I hope not. It will cost about $1200. Can this be a at-home fix?

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
If your tires "lock up" when putting on the brakes as hard as you can, then you do not have a functional ABS system. Some of the early models did not have ABS... Instead they use a front-rear proportion valve to adjusting the fluid pressure to be less for the rear. This is done to prevent the rear end with it's much lighter load to lock up way before the front. In each car, usually in the spare tire well(bottom, side or sometimes it is under the back seat. It is the "build sticker" about 1.5"'s by 3",s That has the VIN #, model of New Beetle, engine code, transmission code, paint code and interior code. Below that are 10 rows of 3 alpha/numerical codes describing all the options and equipment your car came with. The ABS code is 1AC and another code 1HO that indicates that the frt./rear proportioning valve which is not needed with ABS. It is interesting to call or drop by your dealer and have them decode that list. The parts department can pull all that up on their computer. My cars sticker had 35 codes and had one error. It listed my engine code as AGU, which is the code for the 1.8 turbo that goes into the Golf. Correct engine code for 1.8 T New Beetle is APH. Hope this explains about your ABS questions and if you do decode the sticker, it will definitely tell you all about your car....Happy Hunting. JK

·
Registered
4 Posts
speaking of snow (no ESP)...new (used) owner - 03 New Beetle GLS, just moved to an area that has real winters, snow & ice. I know the ground clearance isn't much but on somewhat cleared/plowed winter roads what can I expect for driving/handling?

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
segue17 said:
speaking of snow (no ESP)...new (used) owner - 03 New Beetle GLS, just moved to an area that has real winters, snow & ice. I know the ground clearance isn't much but on somewhat cleared/plowed winter roads what can I expect for driving/handling?
Mine is lowered a further 2.2 inches and with snow tires it still pulls through like a champ. In fact I end up doing the plowing. :D

Seriously with crap tires they are crap. With good tires they are good. It's all about the tires on these cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for the info...I just got the beetle (used) and last winter drove a 4WD Tacoma -- a bit of a change. I had driven a '72 beetle through a couple of winters in Germany, but this is such a different car...just wanted to hear it from someone who's actually been there. currently have decent tires, plan on replacing them when it's time with a set of Nokian -- they meet the criteria for snow tires but are all season. I've had them on a couple of other vehicles and really liked them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts