VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my post the other day , I explained how my cruise on my 99 beetle quits when I turn on my headlights.. I had a scan done and it showed a code 00671.."switch for coast clutch solenoid implausible signal.."
I headed to oreillys with code in hand to order the part and they had no clue what it was I was wanting... do any of you know what this is? and will this kill my cruise when the lights are on?? thanks!

·
Registered
15,842 Posts

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
If I remember correctly; many of the Matco scan tools were made by OTC, does the scan tool have VW specific capability or was this software package, included with the tool or update?

The code, gives you a idea; that it is related to the cruise control/associated electrical circuit but not specific enough information, to know what component is causing the problem. If you have a friend; who has access to a VW capable scan tool; like VCDS by Ross Tech or another high end tool, you might try to scan it again and see if you get different codes, that would be more helpful.

Also, there are quite a few cheap VW scan tools for sale these days; check out the VAG 401 or the Foxwell NT500 on amazon or the Ross Tech VCDS.

I have had heard of a number of things that caused the cruise to fail.

1. the switch in the turn lever; had a bad connection, which I cleaned with electronics cleaner (fixed the issue): I used the CRC 5103 Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner - 11 Wt Oz available at any auto parts store or places like Walmart (under $5; best price I could find).

2. the turn signal lever/switch actually fail; dead.

3. throttle body; out of alignment/dirty; clean and realign.

4. bad brake switch; killed the cruise control: new switch fixed the problem.

Try to get it scanned again and let us know; the results. :goodjob:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Most Professional level scan tools have 2 separate modules, a standard OBDII module and what is usually referred to as the "Scanner" module.

OBDII is what you would expect, a generic OBDII tool that provides Pxxxx codes, Freeze Frame and Live/Realtime data.

The Scanner portion usually provides manufacture proprietary codes and will usually communicate with all the other modules in the vehicle. This includes ABS, Airbag, Immobilzer, Climate Control, Stability Control, Suspension, Transmission, Entertainment, Lighting and other systems.

BUT, almost all OBDII/Scan tools have software/firmware updates even of you do not subscribe to the annual updates. These are service releases that correct bugs, enable features that were not functional when the tool was shipped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts