NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully my picture is posted of the area around the horns, surrounded by tubing. The tubing has some fastening but appears to float, maybe needing some type of bracket at the bottom. Otherwise it will knock the temp sensor from its bracket. Is there a bracket missing? Thanks for the assistance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
What you have there, believe it or not, is the power steering fluid cooler. The brackets look like what I have on my '99 NB.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 99 NB, but there is way too much movement with the brackets that are there. Does yours have anything on the bottom of the tubing which hold it more in place?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
No, there are just the two brackets that are visible in your photo. Are the brackets both attached to the car? I can't really see from the photo. One end of each bracket should attach to the car, the other to the tubing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check it out this weekend. There are brackets attached to the tubes but I'll have to figure how to get in closer to see how/where attached to the frame.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bracket is not attached at the back to the frame. The stud from the frame is broken off and still attached to the brackets, only. I'll have to remove the inner wheel liner and drill it out, and replace it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, both studs that come from the frame were broken loose. I drilled a couple holes and used 1/4 inch sheet metal screws to fasten the bracket back to the frame. Now that I'm in there, I discovered that the above -mentioned snow-thing is there but hanging from the inlet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the whole snow-box out. May take the stuff in the engine compartment out at a later date. Now I'm working at replacing the radiator fans, which don't work. Can't believe my wife never had problem with overheating in the summertime

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ran a jumper wire from the battery to each fan's wiring and only got one to spin, but it immediately would begin squealing like a bad bearing.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I ran a jumper wire from the battery to each fan's wiring and only got one to spin, but it immediately would begin squealing like a bad bearing.
So you are testing the fans as described in "A4_Cooling_Fan_testing_Rev_7.pdf" on page 4? Did you have the ground wire in place? Both fans should come on at slow speed when the ignition switch is in "run" (engine can be off) and the A/C switch is on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was using two jumpers, one from a ground to the brown wire in the fan connector, then a hot wire from the battery to the other connectors(one at a time). They are no good. Good thing motor runs cool I guess in the warm weather.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Pretty definitive then: the fans are bad. It should be safe to wait for warmer weather to replace them. You can pretty much tell what common failure items will be by looking at the replacement parts that someone like ECS sells. They won't carry them if they can't sell a fair number.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts