NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A stupid question: What is a Monsoon deck player? I have the original tape recorder in mine, is that a Monsoon?
a new new beetle owner:)

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Stock sound system (coupe):

6.75" drivers in the door
1" tweeters in the A-Pillars
6.75" full ranges in rear panels
20x4 (peak) headunit

Monsoon:
6.75" subs in doors
3" midranges in dash
1" tweeters in dash
200 watt, 8-channel amp (RMS)

Stock (vert):
6.75" drivers in doors
3" midranges in dash
1" tweeters in dash
6.75" drivers in rear panels
1" tweeters in rear panels

Monsoon:
6.75" subs in doors
3" midranges in dash
1" tweeters in dash
6.75" midbass in rear panels
300 watt, 10-channel amp (RMS)

That's the short of it. Monsoon amps have internal crossovers, but the doors can benefit from a good layer of sound deadener around the door subs. Does miracles for clarity of the bass. Fowvay apparently knows how to clean up the Monsoon even more through VAG-COM, maybe he will chime in on this thread.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Nice post!

Thanks for the suggestion on adding insulation to the Monsoon door subs. I'll be doing that because bass is the only weak point of the Monsoon system on the NB (You can tell because mid and treble are so good!). On a German NB accessories catalog I once saw an upgrade for the door speakers, and from I could make of it, the photos of the upgrades showed some cones with some insulation around them.

What is it that can be done through Vag-Com?:)

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Dorado said:
Nice post!

Thanks for the suggestion on adding insulation to the Monsoon door subs. I'll be doing that because bass is the only weak point of the Monsoon system on the NB (You can tell because mid and treble are so good!). On a German NB accessories catalog I once saw an upgrade for the door speakers, and from I could make of it, the photos of the upgrades showed some cones with some insulation around them.

What is it that can be done through Vag-Com?:)
*this is where I'm waiting for Fowvay or Don_and_Herbie to chime in*

I'm not exactly sure, but I know that there's options to change phasings and stuff...which would work out great because it seems as if my door speakers are out of phase from the factory. I've never messed around with it, but I will.

I'm about to finish insulating my doors in the next couple of days...I'll report back. I may even get around to doing the rear panels too to clean up some reverb there as well. I did the top of my hatch when I added a sub and now you can't hear the sub outside the car. :)

Dorado, you want to pick up a "door speaker kit" by Dynamat from Bestbuy. It goes right around the speaker (no need to remove it...those rivets are a PAIN), and it will clean it up a LOT. Gets rid of most of the annoying vibration and provides a much cleaner "kick". I'm doing my whole door only because I'm planning a possible upgrade (and I need to see if something is removable on the door panel anyways :p ).

If I like how it sounds with the whole door done, I'm selling my sub/amp.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
The Cheat said:
Dorado, you want to pick up a "door speaker kit" by Dynamat from Bestbuy. It goes right around the speaker (no need to remove it...those rivets are a PAIN), and it will clean it up a LOT. Gets rid of most of the annoying vibration and provides a much cleaner "kick". I'm doing my whole door only because I'm planning a possible upgrade (and I need to see if something is removable on the door panel anyways :p ).

If I like how it sounds with the whole door done, I'm selling my sub/amp.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll check what they have at BBuy. I was planning on using leftover insulation from when I added temp and sound insulation to the aluminum skid plate I installed under the engine. If not around the speakers, then I'll find other parts of the NB to fit it in and make the interior more quiet... I feel road noise competes with the clarity of the bass.
:)

·
Retro-a-go-go
94 Posts
Yes, my Monsoon tape version says it on the face as well. I was wondering about the newer versions with the in-dash CD.

EDIT: The Monsoon in-dash CD units still have Monsoon on the outside.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stock sound system (coupe):

6.75" drivers in the door
1" tweeters in the A-Pillars
20x4 (peak) headunit

Monsoon:
6.75" subs in doors
3" midranges in dash
1" tweeters in dash
200 watt, 8-channel amp (RMS)

Stock (vert):
6.75" drivers in doors
3" midranges in dash
1" tweeters in dash
6.75" drivers in rear panels

Monsoon:
6.75" subs in doors
3" midranges in dash
1" tweeters in dash
6.75" midbass in rear panels
300 watt, 10-channel amp (RMS)

That's the short of it. Monsoon amps have internal crossovers, but the doors can benefit from a good layer of sound deadener around the door subs. Does miracles for clarity of the bass. Fowvay apparently knows how to clean up the Monsoon even more through VAG-COM, maybe he will chime in on this thread.
I've been looking for that info everywhere! No one has been able to explain the 10 speaker breakdown of the vert to me so far. Brilliant, thanks.

1 question - I must have non monsoon in mine, as the cd player doesnt say monsoon on it, so, how is the sound split up if there is no amp with the crossovers in it ?

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
There are two speakers in one large enclosure. There are two like that. I belive in the rear.

In a 2000 model, did they also label the monsoon headunit monsoon? I looked at several online, but none of the 98-2000 models I saw had the monsoon label...

·
Semi-Lurk Mode: GOOOOO
2,842 Posts
So I couldn't pass it up.... since the title of the thread is "What is monsoon?" .... my answer is, Monsoon is German for a waste of freaking money. :D
I don't know about that. I can definitely hear a huge difference between my Monsoon system and non-Monsoon systems in Bugs. I prefer my music to be a lot punchier, though. To each his own.

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
on my test drive today, i'm guessing the cars i drove didn't have monsoon. One was a GL. The other was a gls and both lacked a strong bass line...

·
Rusto King
420 Posts
I don't know about that. I can definitely hear a huge difference between my Monsoon system and non-Monsoon systems in Bugs. I prefer my music to be a lot punchier, though. To each his own.

My point being.... for the actual money they charge for a monsoon upgrade I could build you a complete system that wouldn't leave you stuck with a tape deck. or 6 disc.

That is where the waste of money comes in, you really don't get what you pay for and are then stuck with other issues if you ever decide you want to upgrade.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with OldSkoolVWLover. If your just the average joe and want a good sounding system and dont want to upgrade anything, get the Monsoon. If you want to upgrade anything Dont. You cant just put new speakers in the car. You have to put a new amp in, run new speaker wires in, and also put in an external crossover. Alot of stuff to do just to put in a new speaker. The reason being is that the monsoon systems have an external amp with internal crossovers!!

I also have a question? Whats the difference between a sub and a driver. I am not a novice and I know that a sub produces low frequencies but I also thought that was what a driver did because the tweeters produce the highs.
Thanks!!!

·
Rusto King
420 Posts
I agree with OldSkoolVWLover. If your just the average joe and want a good sounding system and dont want to upgrade anything, get the Monsoon. If you want to upgrade anything Dont. You cant just put new speakers in the car. You have to put a new amp in, run new speaker wires in, and also put in an external crossover. Alot of stuff to do just to put in a new speaker. The reason being is that the monsoon systems have an external amp with internal crossovers!!

I also have a question? Whats the difference between a sub and a driver. I am not a novice and I know that a sub produces low frequencies but I also thought that was what a driver did because the tweeters produce the highs.
Thanks!!!
This is not the technical definition..... this is just from my knowledge of the use of the terms.

Technically a sub is a driver. The term driver in my experience can be used to reference any speaker designed to produce the lower frequency. For example, where you have a 3 speaker setup you have Highs, Mid/Fill, and driver. I have also heard the word driver being used in reference to the low end producing speaker in a 2 way or 3 way coaxial speaker. In general it is my belief that it is a general term used for the speaker producing a low end sound.

In actuality though, a driver is any speaker.... the words are synonyms.

Like I said though, in terms of use with car audio, the driver is usually referring to the low end producer. So the usage in car audio is normally a lil different than the actual definition of the word.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice post!

Could this insulation be done easily? I too found the bass of the Monsoon system a little annoying coz the clarity of the bass is bad. I always have to turn the Bass to -3 to -5, otherwise I cannot hear a word in a song but only bump-bump-bump. :( It's a shame coz i agree with you that, from my experience from my previous 2000 Beetle's non-Monsoon system and the one I'm driving (2008), the treble and mid are very good.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts