NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need a really big favor. Anyone with a stock spring/damper setup willing to measure your bug's height for me? :)

Of most import to me would be from the highest point on each wheel arch to the ground. (straight down via plumb on a level surface if possible, but beggars can't be choosers)

I swapped my suspension a while back and the photos I took of the height got deleted before they were transferred. :( So I've got them on, but I dunno, I know my front's higher now than stock. The back's I dunno.

I'd like to get 2 sets of #'s if there's that many people willing to go out w/a tape measure and check it out. :)

Highest point in the wheel arch to the center of the wheel's contact area. I'd appreciate it SOOOOooo much. I'm going to lower & corner balance the Phrog tomorrow; but I don't even know what stock height is, so lowering it just the # I'm looking for is gonna be hard to hit. I think I'm going to aim for a 3/4" drop or so. Performance reasons mostly. I'm not really a big fan of the drop just for drop's sake. Looks nice, but not on my bug. ;)

(please someone be psycho w/me here :runnethov )

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
ill totally do it - it wont be until tomorrow afternoon tho.

if you ask nice enough, tho, i might do it tonite. (or if tomorrow afternoon is too late...)

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't ask any more of ya than that man. I'm off tomorrow and I'm just trying to get in there in the afternoon. You've got an hour head start on me, so that should be alright. I can't wait, I don't really expect a huge change, but I'll be so excited that the new suspension's finally personalized and optimized to suit me. :)

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
i'll go to the garage tomorrow after my 8am class.

the numbers shall be here by afternoon.

the org's done so much for me, i'm happy to repay some here.

and i knew that stock setup would come in handy some day! :goodjob:

NOTE: "the garage" is two blocks down from my actual dorm and my car is 4 floors up. if it was right outside, like it would be were i at home, you'd have the numbers already. just so you dont think im making you wait for no good reason...

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
Are you asking for measurements on a 1.8T engined car?
or a 2.0 car?
The 1.8T should be .5" lower from what I've read.(factory sport suspension!)

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be glad to get ANY measurements actually NJ Turbo. I know I'm out of spec. So I'd like to get any stock height for a good average. I was hoping a couple people would come back with some measurements so we could average them, or compare the engine/year vs ride height. But whatever, I'll take what I can get.

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
ok - sorry again for the wait.

here's what i got:

and that's using the plumb line and a level. and thats in a parking garage, so the ground is pretty darn close to exactly level.

as far as i know, i dont have any special stock suspension or anything - when talking with my mechanic about replacing something he was quoting the non-sport suspension prices.

hope the adjustment goes smoothly!

p.s. - that's an old pic. today i made sure the wheels were straight and the e-brake was off and anything else that might've made the suspension higher than it was supposed to be.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AWESOME, thanks man. :)

To give you an idea of how off my #'s are, check this out

LF 25 13/16"
RF 26 1/16"
LR 25 7/16"
RR 25 5/16"

That's what we get for eyeballing the springperch on the damper and installing it. :)

I'm a bit surprised your stock #'s are so high, I guess maybe 2.0's and 1.8t's do have different ride heights. That's alright, I'll take that and run with it; I'm sure I'll get something to work out. :) YAY

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
noR said:
AWESOME, thanks man. :)

To give you an idea of how off my #'s are, check this out

LF 25 13/16"
RF 26 1/16"
LR 25 7/16"
RR 25 5/16"

That's what we get for eyeballing the springperch on the damper and installing it. :)

I'm a bit surprised your stock #'s are so high, I guess maybe 2.0's and 1.8t's do have different ride heights. That's alright, I'll take that and run with it; I'm sure I'll get something to work out. :) YAY
thats exactly what i was gonna say - if you take the half inch away for sport suspension, your numbers are closer.

the 4 wheels all being different numbers is a different story, tho. :wink:

and everyone always tells me my car is so high, its more like flying than driving (bad pun to tell me to lower it), but i ask them how many times they scraped their bumper so far this week on the hilly Tallahassee roads. then the laughter stops. :goodjob:

glad i could help. now we just need someone with a turbo and stock suspension to do the same.

oh - p.s. - the numbers for front and rear mean both sides (left and right) are the same.

also - one other note to anyone else who is gonna measure - my wheels don't fill the fenders, so i measured from bottom of fender lip straight down to the ground right in front of the center of where the tire meets the road. i.e. don't take the string directly from the fender lip to the bottom of the tire - your number will be wrong.

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
My measurements are less precise, and a taken a bit off level in the driveway. I eyeballed it with a tape measure, thats all, no plumb line.

Left front 25 7/8" Right front 26"

Left rear 26 1/8 Right rear 26 3/16

It's funny I always thought it leaned the other way from the way it looks and thought it would be off a bunch.

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
geez now im thinkin theres something up with my rear being a whole inch higher than the fronts. i was unsure about VW putting a whole inch up in the back, now i'm wondering if the previous owner had something done/replaced...

whaddaya think? would VW put the rear up an inch higher than the front? i know ive seen like stock GTOs and that sort with the rear up higher than the front...

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
Remember that noR wanted the measurements done on a level surface and that mine were not. It is parked in my driveway which angles down a bit so the car is leaning back a bit. Probably not enough to change much really but consider it. I also think its just as likely that my car is low in the back as it is that yours is high. ;)

My gas tank is full but no load in the car.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
VW Does put a bit of lift in the rear though... I stopped by the dealership and measured theres fron the center of the center cap to the bottom of the fender lip.

14" up front, 13.5" in the back. Just adding the #'s to the list.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna look like a 4x4, but we'll see. I'm still deciding on the actual height I'm gonna try to work with.

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
noR said:
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna look like a 4x4, but we'll see. I'm still deciding on the actual height I'm gonna try to work with.
haha - with all that space in between the spokes on Phrog's shoes, if you jack it up high enough and then drive down the highway - it would look like Phrog was floating - landspeeder style!

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
bah... the right way to do this is to throw away the tape measure and sit down in phrog.

Put him on 4 scales and have someone adjust him untill the weight numbers are equal left and right. Ideally you would have it be equal on all 4 corners but thats not really going to be possible with our weight bias.

When I wasn't in my Miata it listed slightly to the right but damn did it handle like a dream when I was in her. :D

Isn't that the real reason you got coilovers? Not for the looks but for the handeling?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Me being my own mechanic, it's a bit hard to spin wrenches from inside the bug man.

But ride height still needed to be worked into the equation, not just weight bias.

I should have copied the #'s down off the whiteboad but the shop said they'd email them. So I'll report back the #'s once I have them.

You'll be glad to know I DID have someone there to write the #'s down while I was in the car though Tom.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
noR said:
Me being my own mechanic, it's a bit hard to spin wrenches from inside the bug man.

But ride height still needed to be worked into the equation, not just weight bias.

I should have copied the #'s down off the whiteboad but the shop said they'd email them. So I'll report back the #'s once I have them.

You'll be glad to know I DID have someone there to write the #'s down while I was in the car though Tom.

A quick cheater method is to simply load a couple bags of fertilizer or what have you on the drivers seat and on the drivers floor board. Then make adjustments to the suspension untill it is level... it will get you 90% of the way there which isn't bad.

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
Also remember that a full or empty gas tank may affect the rear ride height.
Maybe +/- .5" ?
Another thing to mention when you post your ride height.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
Measuring car height from the ground to the wheel arch is not an accurate way to do this because it brings tire pressure and the ground surface into the picture, measure from the hub center to the virtical point of the wheel arch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts