NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Well, VW and Audi are in the same family VAG, If you get into the GLS, GLK, Sport and most definitely the TurboS, there's more AudiTT workings shared with the Beetle- base platform stuff like the 1.8t engine, suspension and such. Does it perform like a TT, no, but generally speaking, there's some nuances that are shared with the beetle and TT.

2 different cars altogether, yet they share some base things.

No doubt Google and other credible periodicals will give you more specifics.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Actually, it is. The first gen TT shares the VAG A4 platform with the New Beetle. Sit in an early TT sometime, it will look very familiar inside.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Actually, it is. The first gen TT shares the VAG A4 platform with the New Beetle. Sit in an early TT sometime, it will look very familiar inside.
And there ya go...the credible info:D

Tanks:D

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
According to Wikipedia; quite a few cars were under the "A4" platform:

Volkswagen Group A platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A4 (PQ34)[edit]

A4 platform cars (Typ numbers in brackets):
Audi A3 Mk1 (8L)
Audi TT Mk1 (8N)
VW Golf Mk4/VW R32 (1J)
VW Bora/Jetta IV (1J)
Shanghai-VW Lavida
VW New Beetle (1C/1Y/9C)
SEAT León Mk1 (1M)
SEAT Toledo Mk2 (1M)
Škoda Octavia Mk1 (1U)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the trim with the fake little rivets in the beetle look a lot like the TT's. door handles, gauge wheels, etc.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1383249255.291676.jpg

though i like that shifter better, however it would clash with the rest of interior the the Tiptronic handle i have matches...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
There's loads that is different between the 2 models. Different seats and seat bases, steering rack, suspension set up, tunes of engine, Quattro options, dashboard layout. Etc etc.

The TT was designed as a sports car from the outset. That's why it gets the BAM engine in the 225bhp versions. Even the 3.2 engine got a better tune than the pathetic version in the RSI.
To compare the 2 is like comparing a jelly to a carving knife. The TT dances round the beetle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i bet the TT sacrificed in fuel economy since that is something not really focused on in sportscars. my husband's Solstice had terrible mpgs for the 500 miles he drove it, then again: he drove it like he stole it... i nicknamed it the batmobile LOL

however, does the TT have more space in trunk? i am assuming it was a manual top like the Solstice (top down = 0 cargo space) I use the Windstop and back seat as an additional trunk on my 03 NBC...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
49 Posts
if they share Volkswagen Group A platform that means that we can feet engine, trans and 4wd as plug and play by only removing sparetire place ? I know about engine and transmission but rear dif is possible so easy ?

·
Registered
758 Posts
if they share Volkswagen Group A platform that means that we can feet engine, trans and 4wd as plug and play by only removing sparetire place ? I know about engine and transmission but rear dif is possible so easy ?
I'd swear I saw a thread somewhere on the Internet where someone transplanted a quatro drivetrain into a New Beetle. It involved cutting out the entire rear "floor pan" in an Audi and welding it into the New Beetle. Not for the faint of heart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts