NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 VW beetle 2.0 with auto and at 65mph it runs at 3,000 rpms I think that is a little high or is that normal???

·
Registered
424 Posts
I wouldn't know... The speed limit here is 55 on the highway. :(

Sent from my DROID X2

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I have a 1998 VW beetle 2.0 with auto and at 65mph it runs at 3,000 rpms I think that is a little high or is that normal???
My '99 with 5-speed manual turns over 3000 rpm at 62 mph, so it is geared very low as well. I think it is geared to hit the redline rpm at the top speed of 120 mph or so. It would get better gas mileage with better gearing. As it is, the highway gas mileage is only about 10% better than my 4600 pound, V6 powered Chrysler minivan!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I wouldn't know... The speed limit here is 55 on the highway. :(

Sent from my DROID X2
BHUAWAHAHAHA :rotfl::rotfl: Do you live in Mayberry where everyone goes 55mph on the highway in fear that if they don't that Gomer will run after them and yell "Citizens Arrest, Citizens Arrest" :D

I don't condone speeding but if you go 55mph here on I-465 you are just asking for getting clobbered. I always try to go with the flow of traffic which in Indy is about 70 ;) and even then you get passed like you are standing still. I think they are confusing the I-465 loop for the Indy 500 Speedway ;)

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
BHUAWAHAHAHA :rotfl::rotfl: Do you live in Mayberry where everyone goes 55mph on the highway in fear that if they don't that Gomer will run after them and yell "Citizens Arrest, Citizens Arrest" :D

I don't condone speeding but if you go 55mph here on I-465 you are just asking for getting clobbered. I always try to go with the flow of traffic which in Indy is about 70 ;) and even then you get passed like you are standing still. I think they are confusing the I-465 loop for the Indy 500 Speedway ;)
He is in Hawaii, it is a bit different. Not much need for higher speeds on those small roads. That would be pretty dangerous.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
My '99 with 5-speed manual turns over 3000 rpm at 62 mph, so it is geared very low as well. I think it is geared to hit the redline rpm at the top speed of 120 mph or so. It would get better gas mileage with better gearing. As it is, the highway gas mileage is only about 10% better than my 4600 pound, V6 powered Chrysler minivan!
Not sure what your minivan gets, but I was getting around 30-31 mpg highway with my 2.0 5-speed. 28-29 if I kept it at 75ish.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Averaging 35-40 highway mpg... 1.8T, neuspeed p-flo CAI, apr emcs module running 91 octane program, vr6 clutch and liteweight flywheel

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Not sure what your minivan gets, but I was getting around 30-31 mpg highway with my 2.0 5-speed. 28-29 if I kept it at 75ish.
Best fuel mileage recorded over a tankful of gas (highway only driving):

1999 NB 2.0 5-speed: 32
1999 Chrysler minivan, 3.8L V6, 4 speed auto: 29

And the NB was a couple mpg worse before I added return springs to the parking brake cables. I think the rear brakes had been dragging a little for about 90k miles! Had to replace shoes every 30k. On third set I found the problem. I don't think the return springs were used on the original car, but added in a later model year.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
He is in Hawaii, it is a bit different. Not much need for higher speeds on those small roads. That would be pretty dangerous.

Oh, I guess that would be true. I have wrecked a Jeep Wrangler in Hawaii once. Drove up to the Haleakala Crater to see the sunrise. On the way down the car in front of me suddenly slammed on his brakes because there were a couple of birds in the road. The birds flew off but I hit my brakes and the Jeep started heading toward the cliff (a few thousand feet drop off), I tried to correct the steering but it started to slide and I hit the side of the mountain. I guess better than hitting flying off the cliff ;). The car rental company wasn't happy but we were still alive. That Jeep lost control at 30mph. That is one reason I never bought a Jeep in my life. POS if you ask me. ;)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Hawaii

Oh, I guess that would be true. I have wrecked a Jeep Wrangler in Hawaii once. Drove up to the Haleakala Crater to see the sunrise. On the way down the car in front of me suddenly slammed on his brakes because there were a couple of birds in the road. The birds flew off but I hit my brakes and the Jeep started heading toward the cliff (a few thousand feet drop off), I tried to correct the steering but it started to slide and I hit the side of the mountain. I guess better than hitting flying off the cliff ;). The car rental company wasn't happy but we were still alive. That Jeep lost control at 30mph. That is one reason I never bought a Jeep in my life. POS if you ask me. ;)
I never been fortunate to make a trip to Hawaii or hang out with the Rich folks that go vacationing in Hawaii. Anyhow, people drive like crazies in the Houston metro area, if you are going 55 you'll get run over or hit from behind. Everybody go's 70-75 and folks need to stay with the flow of traffic. Babyblue is a 5 speed manual so sorry I can't help you there if you got an automatic doing high RPM. Good luck to ya though

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I never been fortunate to make a trip to Hawaii or hang out with the Rich folks that go vacationing in Hawaii. Anyhow, people drive like crazies in the Houston metro area, if you are going 55 you'll get run over or hit from behind. Everybody go's 70-75 and folks need to stay with the flow of traffic. Babyblue is a 5 speed manual so sorry I can't help you there if you got an automatic doing high RPM. Good luck to ya though
Yup, I am Super Rich and vacation in Hawaii and Europe at least twice a year. :D Actually, most of those trips I have taken were either for work or at a very significant discount otherwise I wouldn't be able to take these trips. Doesn't hurt to be a Corporate International Travel Agent. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Yup, I am Super Rich and vacation in Hawaii and Europe at least twice a year. :D Actually, most of those trips I have taken were either for work or at a very significant discount otherwise I wouldn't be able to take these trips. Doesn't hurt to be a Corporate International Travel Agent. ;)
I knew there was something I liked about you. All that money just waiting for me to exploit out of you somehow ;)

Maybe I should give you my pretty darn short bucket list of places I'd like to see before I die and see what kind of deals you could work magic with (or since you are big ballin' like daddy warbucks in da house I guess I could just make you buy me the trips ;))

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I knew there was something I liked about you. All that money just waiting for me to exploit out of you somehow ;)

Maybe I should give you my pretty darn short bucket list of places I'd like to see before I die and see what kind of deals you could work magic with (or since you are big ballin' like daddy warbucks in da house I guess I could just make you buy me the trips ;))

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Ha, ha! The Daddy Warbucks! Little Orphan Iggy's Mom!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts