VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
katybugg
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yellow NB symbol with a arrow swoosh like pointing upwards towards the hood of the car. It's in the lower L corner by the 0 . I can't find this symbol in my manual.

2004 NB 1.8 turbo convertible

car starts then dies

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
That's the MIL or "Check Engine Light".
It's the only indicator directly to the left of the speedo "0".
Sitting exposed outdoors, even with a cover, in a damp location can lead to several sensors getting gummed up or contacts oxidizing and not making electrical contact.
The only way to really figure out what is wrong is to have the car scanned with VCDS(formerly Vag-Com) to determine what DTC code(s) are being thrown by the engine control module.
Aside from that, there's really not much else that you can do.
Good Luck:)

·
katybugg
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought of that but there's a different indicator light for that. I thought maybe it was something to do with the turbo? I don't have a spoiler

I think I'll have to get the car scanned as suggested, in the old days my husband could take the engine apart and put it back together but with all this electronic stuff it's a bit scary to mess around with.

Your hood is open???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fyi

Rear lid open light: right side-between rear fog and front brake pads worn

The warning light comes on when the ignition is on and the rear lid is open.
The light should go out when the rear lid is closed.

Rear Spoiler indicator light: 1st light bottom left

The indicator light will blink if the rear spoiler is activated manually using the switch underneath the dashboard and the vehicle is speed below 12 mph (20 km/h).
The light will go off when the vehicle exceeds that speed.
The indicator light will come on if there is a defect in the electrical system.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Well, no one seems to know for sure.

Below, in .pdf are the applicable pages from Booklet 3.1 in your OM, covering this. All the warning and indicator lights are identified on Pgs 6 & 7. The Cluster is pictured on Pg 11, and warning and indicator lights identified and explained on subsequent pages. Lights are different and in different places from year to year. If yours doesn't look like this, 1) it is not a US model, 2) the was a running change to the cluster after the printing of the OM, or 3) the Cluster has been changed out with a different year or model.

Since you don't have an OM, p/m me, I have the entire manual available in .pdf. FS.

MORAV

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I cant seem to open the pdf for some reason... but from the description of the light it sounds like the ESP (i think thats the name of the traction control button) on my 03 turbo-s there is an ESP button below the stereo just in reach of the shifter that you can accidently hit while shifting... its something to do with traction control or something like that.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Not sure what the issue is opening the .pdf - 1 left click and it opened right up.

M.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.