VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Quick question. Can someone tell me what this canister looking thing is? I noticed the rubber mounts that hold it in place are broken on my daughters car and I want to replace the mounts. Also should I get them from the dealer or is there a good online source?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
That is the secondary air pump, part of the emissions system. It runs for up to a minute on cold start to get the catalytic converter up to temp faster.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
sai pump

You might want to think twice before you go buy it at the dealer unless you want to fork out $500..LOL :p I bought mine on ebay for $100 with free shipping 2 years ago and have had no problems so far. Buy the little rubber mounts also because you gonna need to replace them soon anyhow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info!

Actually I'm not replacing the whole unit I just need to replace the rubber mounts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A question, I own a 2001 2.0 NB with AEG engine, but it doesn't have this Secondary air pump, or I couldn't find it. All 2.0 NB came with this device?

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you are a junkyard hound like me you might find the mounts on golf and Jetta's as well. These were a commonly failed part though so good luck. The older ones have a stud on both ends and you can find them on the MK3 cars. the later version has one stud with the other end molded to the shape of the air pump mounting. I also heard that they are available cheaply through ebay and such. Mama VW wants 16 bucks each, you will need your vin if you ask her for 'em.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can get non-OEM replacement parts. Search Dorman 911-901 or 911-926. A set of 3 is less than $15. Its pretty easy to change, too. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
ebay

You can get non-OEM replacement parts. Search Dorman 911-901 or 911-926. A set of 3 is less than $15. Its pretty easy to change, too. Good luck.
not to promote ebay but you can find them even at a lower price there. work just as well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts