NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How can such an underpowered tiny car get such bad gas mileage? I can't get above 19 mpg with about 50/50 hwy, city driving. I am really hoping this engine will loosen up and give me the 28/31 advertised. I have 2 psi over the rated tire recommendation, drive like an old lady and still bad mpg.

I am leaving an Acura TSX for a new 2005 NBC. What I find mind boggling is the Acura with twice the horsepower and a much larger car gets much BETTER gas mileage, like 21/36 in real life and I drove that car HARD.

Is there anything I can do to increase mileage? Take out that Snow Box thing? Chip it? I'm willing to spend a few $ to get better mileage.

What's your mpg on your car? Please list the type, year and mileage. I am hoping things get better when the car breaks in.

2005 NBC
Automatic
700 miles
about 17 city and 22 hwy

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
Wait until after the break in period before you assess your mileage. Once the engine breaks in you will see a difference, although, top down=drag=decreased gas mileage.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
i have a 2001 2.0 GLS NB and get about 25 mpg in town. good luck on getting better mpg - i don't know why yours is so low. although i have heard the 'verts get less mpg than the tin tops.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I don't know about 1500. Our Jetta 2.5L is nearing 5,000 -- first oil change. My 2.0L still beats it by about 50MPG per tank right now, and the 2.5L is supposedly considerably more efficient than the 2.0L. I say the "break in" is after the car is moved to a synthetic oil at 10,000 miles (second oil change).

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Technical "break-in" is 1000 miles, with the first oil change at 5000.

My 1.8T's mileage was a little bad, but did get better. Speed/tire pressure/top position also factor into the overall mileage.

-Des

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
hey,
mine did the same thing. I got that 19mpg at first too. I was driving mostly in town and I thought I would give it a break at first, but was thinkin it should be better. So things changed. I still only have about 4,200 miles on it(I've had it since the middle of June). I changed my PT job and started having a good drive of about 17miles each way(7 days a week) and a good combo of in town and higher speed driving(70 +or-) and the mileage went on up and I am getting 27-28 now(and I don't drive like an old lady). We will be doing the first oil change this month. My dealer said 5,000 miles or 8 months and we should hit it toward the end of Feb. The oil is reading the top of the hash marks on the dipstick, so I'm thinking we aren't doing too bad in that department.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2001 2.0 Gas 5 speed that has 55,000 miles on it. I only get about 19-20 mpg with city driving and maybe 25 mpg on the highway if I am lucky. I have owned the car since it had 35,000 miles on it and I have been really disappointed with the gas mileage.

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
wowser said:
How can such an underpowered tiny car get such bad gas mileage? I can't get above 19 mpg with about 50/50 hwy, city driving. I am really hoping this engine will loosen up and give me the 28/31 advertised. I have 2 psi over the rated tire recommendation, drive like an old lady and still bad mpg.

I am leaving an Acura TSX for a new 2005 NBC. What I find mind boggling is the Acura with twice the horsepower and a much larger car gets much BETTER gas mileage, like 21/36 in real life and I drove that car HARD.

Is there anything I can do to increase mileage? Take out that Snow Box thing? Chip it? I'm willing to spend a few $ to get better mileage.

What's your mpg on your car? Please list the type, year and mileage. I am hoping things get better when the car breaks in.

2005 NBC
Automatic
700 miles
about 17 city and 22 hwy
Wish I was doing the reverse...giving up my Beetle for a TSX...hehehe....no really...

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
There's also the factor of the Acura having a more powerful engine, so you are not having to use as much of the powerband to get around, most likely contributing to better mileage from the acura. Plus, let's face it, the beetle is not the most aerodynamic car on the road.:D

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I dont get very good gas mileage just doing city driving but with a combination of both, which is what I'm always doing, I haven't gotten less than 21mpg on a tank of gas and on just highway, I have gotten 36mpg doing 70 the entire drive. Mine's a '99 GL with a little over 60k on it. I was disappointed with the gas mileage at first because most of what I did was city driving (I had the car since 54k) and a lot of people got higher but it shines on the highway and I do a lot of highway driving now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts