VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2000 GLX 1.8T.

205/65/16 Oversize Tires + Rear Wheel Spacer for Understeer + No Rear Seats + No Spare Tire + No Carpet + Tune w/ Mods. :D

I have a friend working at landfill, so i go on rack and measure whole car's weight, after drive, weight again, do calculation.

City 30 mpg / Highway 38 mpg / Freeway 40 mpg. :)

Track Racing Model : Barely hit 10 mpg. :(
thats great too!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
20mpg by my calculations. :confused:
I am only on my 3rd tank of gas and I have refilled at 300 miles on the trip meter. About 50/50 highway/city. A mechanically inclined friend said it may be so low due to summer heat and too much alcohol in the fuel. Engine seems to run fine, but I will be getting it tuned to hopefully improve the situation.

Suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am only on my 3rd tank of gas and I have refilled at 300 miles on the trip meter. About 50/50 highway/city. A mechanically inclined friend said it may be so low due to summer heat and too much alcohol in the fuel. Engine seems to run fine, but I will be getting it tuned to hopefully improve the situation.

my buggie is only getting 23 mpg, mostly highway!
i do need a new O2 sensor and my mass flow air sensor needs cleaned, wondering if that would do it too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I get around 27mpg mostly highway with some in-town. I get around 21mpg mostly in-town... And by "in-town", I mean sitting in rush hour construction traffic. Big cities suck. :(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Gustav
349 Posts

You did not tell us what motor you have in your Beetle nor did you tell us how many gallons you are putting in your tank when you refill at 300 miles. But guessing that you are putting roughly 12 gallons in at fill up gives you roughly 25 Mpg and 25 to 28 mpg on a 50/50 mix of driving is spot on for most non TDi Beetles.

·
Gustav
349 Posts
2000 GLX 1.8T.

205/65/16 Oversize Tires + Rear Wheel Spacer for Understeer + No Rear Seats + No Spare Tire + No Carpet + Tune w/ Mods. :D

I have a friend working at landfill, so i go on rack and measure whole car's weight, after drive, weight again, do calculation.

City 30 mpg / Highway 38 mpg / Freeway 40 mpg. :)

Track Racing Model : Barely hit 10 mpg. :(
I think you are either over inflating your mpg or you actually have a TDI not a 1.8T as the mpg you are posting are the exact TDI mpg!

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's a 2.0 liter gasoline engine. I've put in about 13 gallons each fill up, so 25 is probably more accurate.

·
Gustav
349 Posts
One of my friend has a 2001 Jetta TDI, he has 50 mpg easily, so i got ideas from him.

Just keep in mind,
Any Dead Weight is going to hurt your mpg. Even 1 oz is 1 oz of free weight.
Any Useless electricity consuming hardware, is going to hurt your mpg. Alternator clutch will engage more often to generate power, which draws engine power.
Keep All Maintenance Overkill, Good for Everything.
Drive Gentle. Ladies like Gentle Man.

Here is what I did to my 2000 Beetle 1.8T. Try these set up, you will be impressed :

Disclaimer : SOME MODIFICATIONS BELOW DO NOT COMPLIANT LEGAL ON-ROAD VEHICLE OPERATION CONDITIONS. YOU MUST DO EVERYTHING AT YOUR OWN RISK AND/AT LEGAL LIMITS. :mad: UNLESS YOU CAN FIND YOUR OWN "WAY" TO PASS THE INSPECTION :D !!!!!

Inside:
Remove Rear Seats and Trunk Cover.
Remove All Carpets and All Insulate Pads under Carpets.
Remove Spare Tire and Spare Tire Change Kit.
Remove Rear Side Panels and Tail Light Nut Access Cover.
Remove Lock Switch on Passenger Door.
Remove Fuel Door Switch on Driver Door.
Remove Heated Seats Switch.
All Interior Lights change to 3-Watt LEDS, total saving 18-Watt.
Remove Fuse #1, #4, #8, #17, #27, #33, #35, #36, #44 in Fuse Panel on Side Dash.
Remove Fuse #C, Relay #7, #8 in Relay Box under Dash.

Outside:
Headlight Low Beam to 35-Watt HID, Saving 40-Watt.
Headlight High Beam to 30-Watt LED, saving 50-Watt.
Remove Fog Lights and Grille Valance between Fog Lights, replace Grille with a new Non-Fog Light Grille.
Remove Front Tow Hook Plug, your inter-cooler will cool better.
205/65/16 Over-Size Tires, Same Tread Width as Factory, Taller Side Wall, Actual Speed will be Faster than Speedometer. Factory 205/55/16 will be Slower than Speedometer. 205/60/16 will be Right-On.

Mechanical:
Remove Secondary Air Injection Pump.
Remove Combination Valve and plug that hole on the Cylinder Head.
Remove All Crankcase Ventilation Lines, Run a Silicone Hose from Valve Cover to Breather Pipe, and Vent Underneath.
Remove Factory Air Intake System (include outside intake, side pipe, air filter box, kinked rubber hose, and metal turbo inlet pipe), replace with a silicone Turbo Intake, and Bolt on a Large Mushroom Air Filter.
Remove All Vacuum Lines and Vacuum Reservoir on top of Valve Cover, and put on resistor on the two plugs.
Hook a Silicone Hose Directly from Brake Booster to Intake Manifold, Jet Suction Pump in between, Small Mushroom Breather Filter on the open end of Jet suction Pump. To make system run little bit lean without O2 sensor Notice.
Hook a Silicone Hose Directly from Air Intake to EVAP and split to TB.
Hook a Silicone Hose Directly from Fuel Pressure Regulator to Intake Manifold.
NewSouth Power Intake Manifold Gasket.
Replace Power Steering Pulley to Light Weight Under-Drive Pulley.
Replace Transmission Mount Bushing to 70A durometer polyurethane bushing. No More Wheel Hop, No More Waste Power.
Remove Whole Exhaust System start from Turbo, include Catalytic Converter.
Go local Tuning shop to have a Customized Tune.

Maintenance:
Only Shell #93, Conventional Ethanol-Free Premium Gas. Plus Regularly use Fuel System Cleaner.
Oil Change every 2500 Miles, Walmart Great-Value Super-Tech Synthetic 5W-30. Thinner Oil Flo Better.
Spark Plug Change Every Half Year, Autolite Copper 3923, Gap 0.030. Chip Tune require 0.028 gap, But Bigger Spark gives better mpg, but lose power.
Coolant Flush Every 20000 Miles, Prestone Dex-Cool.
Transmission Fluid Change Every 20000 Miles, Royal Purple Max ATF.
Differential Oil Change Every 20000 Miles, Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90.
Power Steering Fluid Flush Every 20000 Miles, Royal Purple Max EZ.
Brake Fluid Bleed Every 20000 Miles, Prestone Synthetic DOT-4.
Air Filter Change Every Year.
Cabin Air Filter Change Every Year.
Fuel Filter Change Every 20000 Miles.

City 30 mpg / Highway 38 mpg / Freeway 40 mpg. Is the Best I Can Do, Still Thinking How to Get More.
Okay I'll tell you that my Tuned 2004 Turbo S with Large 550 cc Bosch fuel injectors all its heavy leather interior and 470 pounds of passengers gets 28 mpg on the highway running 70 to 80 mph not driving like a grandmother. I will still dispute your mpg as removing 200 pounds of your interior and all your emissions system will not get you that kind of fuel economy. If you told me you changed the gear ratio in your gear box and your differential that might get you closer to the quoted mpg. But the trade off would be that you'd have no power and it would take you forever to get up to cruising speed! It's a Turbo Beetle not a Prius!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Here try this :
Only you sit in the car, code transmission to 00011 force economy mode, go for a drive. 1900 RPM is spool point, so never let RPM reach 2000 which means Never let turbo spool up.
You should be able to hold RPM at 2000, Unless you go above 50.
you will see a MPG increase.
If people honk at you, just look at rear view mirror, see if they have dashcam. If not, just sudden brake, you get free check. If yes, sway left, block their view, then sudden brake at last minute, you get free check.
Unless you live in a rural area or only residential, you "might" be able to pull this off. However, for every day, real-world driving this is not a safe driving practice. Most highways have a "minimum" speed limit- driving at or below the minimum speed can be as unsafe as driving at a high rate of speed. Plus it fosters road rage, which is an unwise practice.
I'm no lead foot, but for me, I'd rather own a 2.0l rather than own a turbo beetle and not put the turbo to use.

·
Gustav
349 Posts
Well Believe or not, if you do the same mods as i did, you will see.

By the way, you have large injectors and possibly higher pressure regulators is going to hurt your mpg a lot. Especially with a bigger turbo and a performance tune. More HP equals less MPG.
Also, you carry passengers, but I am the only one sitting in the car forever. I am 150 LBS.
Of course there is a big difference.

Here try this :
Only you sit in the car, code transmission to 00011 force economy mode, go for a drive. 1900 RPM is spool point, so never let RPM reach 2000 which means Never let turbo spool up.
You should be able to hold RPM at 2000, Unless you go above 50.
you will see a MPG increase.
If people honk at you, just look at rear view mirror, see if they have dashcam. If not, just sudden brake, you get free check. If yes, sway left, block their view, then sudden brake at last minute, you get free check.
Missing the point I'm making brother I'm getting stock fuel economy on a mildly modified and tuned motor with 4 humans in the car that weigh more than the parts you claim to have removed. This is why I dispute your logic and claim! I'm not looking to get Prius fuel economy out of my Turbo S. I have said my piece and with 30 years of VW building experience under my belt I will continue to doubt your mpg and as well your driving habits.
Please enjoy your New Beetle and I hope that it brings you many years of happiness.

·
Registered
712 Posts
2000 tdi
5 speed
DLC1019 nozzles
EGR delete
No cat
No muffler
12oz PowerService silver additive on every fillup
4oz TC-W3 two stroke oil on every fillup
On my 31 mile one way commute (50:50 city: highway) to work I will get 700 miles on every tank (14.5 gallons; 48MPG).
On long road trips averaging 70mph I will get 53 mpg (770 miles).
Best tank was about 810 miles (55.8Mpg).

·
jgarry 2001 new beetle
47 Posts
2001 2.0 5 speed, low 20's when I do entirely city driving (normal usage as a station to work car).

Mid 20's when I commute from home to station (as I'm doing now because kid is home from college). Mixed freeway/city.

My general driving style is James Dean Spyder wannabe. :cool: I do wish I had a sixth gear.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts