NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, all.

I just purchased a new (to me) 1999 Beetle GLS and the owner told me she didn't have the FOB anymore (and I guess they key too). I was given a single black key that will start the car, but will not unlock the trunk. I'm assuming this is the valet key?

There's a ton of vendors who offer keys on Ebay that are blanks. My assumption is that if I buy a key off there that I'll need to have the key cut and programmed to the car. The problem is that the car is not registered for the road, so if the key needs to be in proximity to the car the auto locksmith will have to come to my place (and this might get expensive).

What are my options here? Does the car have to be in proximity to the key when being programmed, or can it be done though a VIN number? Where's the best place to buy a set of new keys for it that won't cost me more than I paid for the car (I'm in Canada, so anything coming from the US will either take forever or be very expensive)?

Thanks.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,074 Posts
sidewinderkey.com is another good site for keys. I know in the states, a '98 doesn't have an immobilizer so it just needs to be cut to work. Hopefully its the same in Canada, as it makes things much easier and cheaper!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sidewinderkey.com is another good site for keys. I know in the states, a '98 doesn't have an immobilizer so it just needs to be cut to work. Hopefully its the same in Canada, as it makes things much easier and cheaper!
Awesome. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have another question about the keys. If I only have the valet key, and I get another key cut based on that key, will it still not allow me to unlock the trunk with it? Since I purchased the car I am not able to get into the trunk with the current key (nor with the trunk release on the door - it makes a the unlock sound, but when I run to the back to open it, it's still locked).

·
5/23/10 <3
11,074 Posts
If you get it cut based of the valet key then yes, it would only allow the same functions. You can get a regular key cut based on your VIN that should give you full functionality.

As for the trunk, have someone else hit the button while you stand at the back to open it. Its a common issue. Just need to adjust it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you get it cut based of the valet key then yes, it would only allow the same functions. You can get a regular key cut based on your VIN that should give you full functionality.

As for the trunk, have someone else hit the button while you stand at the back to open it. Its a common issue. Just need to adjust it.
Great. Thanks for your help and advice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In talking to a local guy he said there's no such thing as a valet key for the 99 Beetle and more than likely the lock is defective. I still don't think that's true because the only key I have does not fit into the truck lock, so I think that's incorrect. What's the truth?

·
Registered
12,685 Posts
I suppose, anyting is possible; you might remove the offending lock or have the locksmith handle it or just buy a new one, based upon your vin #, from VW and theoretically it would match your other keys (assuming they are original). It maybe a case, where some of the key locks or tumblers were replaced with non original based on vin # parts and that is why they don't match. VW used to sell; a kit, that had all new locks for all the door, that way everything would match. A auto locksmith; maybe, able to match the key locks for you. A "valet key", just doesn't have the wireless capability, built into it. It has the immo rfid chip but not the buttons, to open things up wirelessly. As to a 99, having a regular and valet; all the new beetle's I've owned, both new off the lot, (2000 GLX and 2002 Turbo S), came with two key fobs and one valet key. Maybe, others can chime in; if they bought or owned a 99' and can confirm, what they remember.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,074 Posts
I had a '99 and was given what was told was a valet key but it worked everything. It was just a key with no fob. I've not heard of a New Beetle not being able to have a valet key though. Its just a different cut. It has nothing to do with the immobilizer, which is what the '99 lacks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts