NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI!
I did my first oil change on my beetle today! But I'm going through the forums and reading what type of oil folks have used on their beetle and I'm freaking out. (Thinking I used the wrong stuff.)

I used,
CASTROL SYNTHETIC 5W-20 (ABOUT 6 QUARTS)

&,
An, Oil Canister.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wc...age//1/large/16660098_fra_ch9911_pri_larg.jpg
I believe it was CH9911.

Anyway, car's a 2010 Automatic, 2.5, with 37k miles.

SO, WHAT TYPE OF OIL DO YOU USUALLY USE FOR YOUR OIL CHANGES? & WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?

·
Master Technician
11 Posts
Ok, get that crap out of there ASAP. You need a 5W-40 oil to properly protect your engine. A 5W-20 is way too thin.
I recommend Liqui Molly or Pentosin 5W-40 along with either a OEM or Mann filter. These are available at Napa or online. There are also numerous retailers all over.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I just used Mobil 1 5w30 and a OEM filter.
Neither the 5W20 or the 5W30 are VW Approved motoroils.
Well, the 5W30 will do in a pinch but I would never EVER put in 5W20 motoroil regardless if it's synthetic or not!

Castrol Edge 5W40 is recommended (if you go with Castrol) or you can go with Mobil One 0W40 European Formula. I use either one depending which one is on sale. I think Ford came up with this crappy 5W20 in late 1999 to meet higher Mileage requirements in their Mustangs. (MPG) It is a thin oil and will not sufficiently protect your VW engine.
I would definitely return it for the proper weight oil.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Mobile One 0W40.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Mine likes this 1. Pushing 160,000 miles and still gets 28 miles per gallon!

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Hmm, :rolleyes: I guess your car thinks it's an old muscle car from the 70's :D That thick of an oil is definitely not recommended for our Beetle's or any modern made car on the street today. Glad it works for ya ;) I guess it's better than using the water thin 5W20

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Ok, get that crap out of there ASAP. You need a 5W-40 oil to properly protect your engine. A 5W-20 is way too thin.
I recommend Liqui Molly or Pentosin 5W-40 along with either a OEM or Mann filter. These are available at Napa or online. There are also numerous retailers all over.
I second this. I have always used Pentosin 5w-40, my indie VW shop only carries it. IIRC he used to carry liqui molly too but now only has pentosin. (There's not a huge demand for Euro specific oil in my neck of the woods I suppose!) That and an oversized filter and you're good to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts