NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm getting ready to do a tranny service (filter + fluid). I was just wondering what kind of fluid is recommended for my 99 2.0L auto and how much?

·
Registered
11,565 Posts
According to the Bentley:

01M Auto Trans:

ATF Fluid: VW part #: G052162a2

dry fill

5.3L (5.6 qt)

changing

3.0L (3.2 qt)

You can find this fluid at foreign car parts online, maybe locally or at your VW dealer;

G052162a2 - Google Search

Your filter should be easy to find at any local parts store; there are also independent vw parts places that sell "kits" that make the whole parts and fluid buying process easier as well:

Vw Beetle Auto Transmission Fluid Filter Kit - Vw ATF - 4 speed

They also have a good "how to" section that goes over the basics of the auto trans fluid change process: http://www.blauparts.com/vw/vw_fluid/vw_automatic_transmission_fluid.shtml#howtochangevwautomatictransmissionfluid

Before ordering any of the parts; I would confirm with your vin # you are getting the right parts for your beetle.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Specification (from the Bentley)

01M Automatic transmission specifications

Transmission Lubricant
Initial Filling: 5.3L (5.6 qts)
Oil Change: approx 3.0L (3.2 qts)
Spec G 052 162 A2

Final Drive Lubricant
Initial Filling: 0.75L (0.8 qts)
Oil Change: Fitted for life, no change
Spec: Synthetic oil, SAE 75/90W, VW p/n G 052 145 A2

I think it is purhaps the comment "Fitted for life, no change" relating to the Final Drive, that causes so many to say VW says you never have to change the transmission fluid, that it's lifetime. :rolleyes: Funny how those rumors get started, and then propogate.

You do have a manual to do this, or an excellent "How-to", right?

MORAV

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
There is also no service interval listed for the auto tranny fluid change in the Bentley, just check for leaks every 20k. Same for the manual as well (this is based on my mk4 GTI Bentley, not my NB one...there are some differences that I can already see).

Hey, be happy that at least the VW autos have a filter...Hondas don't! (At least my hubby's doesn't)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm not big on changing A/T fluid. Had it done once in 40+ years as a stand alone, maybe a couple other times when I had trannies being serviced for something else. And I'm talking vehicles with 300k to 400k or more miles. It it's holding it's color, it's good, unless there are issues, as far as I am concerned. And if it's not leaking there is no reason to be concerned with the level. It's not consumed like engine oil.

M.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
No, but you don't know what could be going on with it. We just changed the Honda's fluid a few weeks ago and found metal shavings. Its been slipping, so its not a huge shock, but the fluid change helped a lot with the slippage. But the Honda also doesn't have a filter. This is probably the 3rd time the fluid has been changed and its coming up on 173k. These Honda transmissions were known to be far more problematic than the VW autos too...failing on the V6 models before 40k was not unheard of. I know I've heard of people with 100k on a V6 and on their 3rd transmission. I would have personally swapped to a manual after the 2nd failure for sure, if not after the 1st one.

I change out manual gear oil around 100k. Some people leave it until they do a clutch job, but that can be 200k or so. I'd rather do the fluid/change it early and catch a problem before it gets too serious. Its nice to see the color and make sure there isn't any metal in it at all.

·
Registered
11,565 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts