NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got into a discussion with my fiance tonight about whether or not my car is a gls..what options make it a gls or can it be told from the vin?

not that it matters im just curious

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
jazzcat said:
got into a discussion with my fiance tonight about whether or not my car is a gls..what options make it a gls or can it be told from the vin?

not that it matters im just curious
Alloy wheels in lieu of wheelcovers, foglights, and maybe power windows. Did I omit anything else? (I think a sunroof was optional on both GL and GLS models). This is assuming a 98-00 model 2.0....the 1.8 may vary.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Well your car's not a GLX because it's not a 1.8t And if you have fog lights, you don't have a GLS.

wait, this just in.

you have a 1998! :) They didn't have GL, GLS, OR GLX's in 1998.... It's a New Beetle with no deliniation.

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
Go look in your trunk, under the mat, on the left of the tire is a sticker with all the info, what trim level your car is as well as codes for all the options it came with.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Well in the early days of GLS trim on NB, alloy were still optional. ;) Mainly, they did have foglights, power windows, cruise control, and the ability to be optioned.

I think the '98 had a Sport pack and a Convenience pack...

-Des

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
1998s had no model codes so to speak...there was a "sport pack" with alloys and fogs, and a "convenience pack" with power options, fogs, and the option for a sunroof. All early NBs had the "sport pack", and most had both packages...making it a "GLS" of sorts.

What makes a GLS: (99-01)
power options
fog lights
ability to be optioned

GLS: (02-05)
power stuff
fogs
alloys (this seemed to be a 02.5 add-on...before it was optional)
sunroof (this may have been an 01.5 change, not sure)
Monsoon sound system
option packages

What makes a GLX: (2000-04)
GLS goodies
standard alloys
standard sunroof
standard 1.8T
standard heated leather

hope this clears it up a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts