NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I new to VW and the TDI can some point me to a basic run down of the setup. I know it's direct fule injected like my truck and it has all the other go fast more power parts that new diesel's have but I'm need to know specific. Like does the Turbo have a waist gate if so can it be conrolled via comp mods and chips. Can the dealer tell if you chip and remove. I'm assumiong the ECM will register codes if you exceed preset limits. I'm power hungry becasue I drive a big displacemetn Diesel everyday and I like the HP and TQ they deliver. How much can I squeeze out of this littel 1.9 without haveing to invest in new injectors, turbo, Intercoller and so on. Also who make a good stelth exaust and air intake system for these things. Clear the constipation and the sinus infection and things get intresting. Thanks if advance for the help.:D

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Actually, I'd reccomend just removing the rear muffler and smacking a 2.25" pipe straight out or turned down. Omit the tip if you want no sound. The intake system is also very efficient as well.

What you want is a chip or a tuning box. Our turbos are VNT, so there's no real wastegate so to speak.

www.dieseltuning.ca for a SICK tuning box.
www.rocketchip.com for a sick chip.

Stay tuned, I'm in a beta program for BullyDog and I'll be testing their all-new PD tuning box developed in house. :O)

Here's a dyno plot from the dieselpower TB: http://www.dieseltuning.com/english/03informationcenter/02dynotests/text.php#

It's SICK I tell you...I've seen it in action...1/4 miles of 15.7 with it as the only mod are common.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can the dealer tell if you chip :confused: becasue I just droped 2.5k on the 100k warranty. Also I'm the type that likes custoem tuning after my Edge experince. BullyDog is a caned Ham also one size fit all not bad but you can hit the sweet spot with custom stuff. I'm currently running an edge product on my truck and going to a DP preformacne customer 6 position chip for my truck as you said in one of your posts every engine responds to change differently so custom is the way to go if you can part with the doe. 15.7 is not bad but we've got guys running the big bore diesles under 10 sec in the 1/4. Thats blowing some smoke. I'm looking for a peped up zipper and not a smoking monster.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
I'll keep you posted on my TB, and yes, it can be told if there is a chip installed. A tuning box or injectors is your best bet for dealer stealth (and your clutch). I have a spare ECU with a chip installed, and I get slip no matter where I am in the rev range. Time for a heavier clutch methinks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the 6 speed tip so I'll have to watch Trans temp and moniter TC slip when I add more power. I can up the Line pressure or update the valve body/sonnax valves if the trans uses that stuff to get more holding power. An Auot is the weak link but I sit in traffic 2 hrs a day and like to have the auto to save my legs and back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since you have a spare ECU/chip combo can the dealer tell if the ECU has been swaped in and out. I'm more worried about the wrath of my wife than the dealer. You can typically strong arm them if you break something after a mod becasue it hard to prove the mod created the break. It refershing to see gasser like proces on injectors. A set for my PSD will set me back 1100 for set of stockers (8) to about 4K for some highly modified high cc splitshots

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
You really should get on tdiclub.com for your serious tuning questions. If it's been done in a TDI, the guys on tdiclub have either done it or know about it. There are some really fast cars over involved there.

A couple of points though:

1 - your biggest improvement will be with a chip and injectors in these cars. depending on what stage chip and injectors will effect what other improvements you may have to do to handle that power. typically a stage 3 chip and powerplus injectors will get you quickly into a new clutch.

2 - the TDI doesn't have a breathing problem...only when you get into some serious modding do breathing upgrades make a difference...until then (even with chip and injectors) it does just fine. as already suggested, the most you would need to do is remove the exhaust to keep the temps down.

3 - gauges: before you do anything I'd get a gauge setup that you trust is accurate...you will at least want turbo and EGTs monitored.

Anyway...I'd head over to the tuning section of tdiclub.com for your serious questions. Several of the guys there are familiar with the trucks as well and know the differences in the best things for each. Tuning this diesel is not like tuning your typical Cummins. Some things are similar but not all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts