NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the beetle world and it is not my, but our teenager's car.............That being said I am paying the bills so this may be a stupid question?????????

There are conflicting notes as to what type (octane rating) of gas to use in the beetle we have???? Some say use premium 92 others say as long as you have at least regular 87 you are fine......I want to keep the car running great, but I don't want to buy premium gas if I don't have to................so which to use.........

We bought the car with 72,000 miles on it btw..........

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
If its a 2.0 liter (and I imagine it is since you posted here), 87 is all you need. You only need Premium in the turbo charged 1.8T.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
It should also say on the fuel door.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If its a 2.0 liter (and I imagine it is since you posted here), 87 is all you need. You only need Premium in the turbo charged 1.8T.
I agree with Smileybug, my daughter drive a Jetta MK4 2.0 and it use 87 octane rating.

My car is 1.8T and one occasion I put 91 octane rating to see if I can save some money and I hear the valves making noise in the engine, so back to use 95 and no more valve noises.

Some people dont understand what is the Octane Rating meaning and they confuse things and say they use the best fuel and thats why they use 95:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Isaac

·
Registered
66 Posts
In the UK 95 is the lowest octane rating we can get , we can go up to 99 octane , make a little differnce in the noise the engine makes but thats it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts