NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all! Hope everybody is well :) I have a 2004 New Beetle, the turquoise blue 'Music Edition' :) I have a new problem this Winter that I never had before, and my local mechanic has had my car 4 times, and can't find what the problem is :mad: I also shelled out almost $700 for him to fix what he thought was wrong, grrrr....

Basically, I first thought that something was hanging below my car, because whenever I went over a bump, speed bump, or the worst of all - a mound in the road, my car sounded like something under the front of it was scraping the road. But, it was checked, and air put into the tires, to no avail. Then he looked inside the car, and said that a strut was "collapsed", so he changed those, and also that my brake pads in the front needed to be changed, so he changed those. I picked it up to find that the scraping sound problem was even worse than before! So, then he felt that there may be loose Bushings, and he kept tightening those... It's better, but the problem is still there, HOWEVER, I did notice that it only seems to happen badly when the car has been left out in the cold for over an hour or so. When it's been in my garage over night, it doesn't happen.

Any good soul out there have any idea what this could be? My poor Beetle :(

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
You can't tighten bushings, if the busing is bad tightening the bolt just stresses the bolt. Sounds like he is throwing parts at it hoping something sticks. It needs to be put up on a lift and closely inspected long with a road test to figure out what it is.
If he replace the front struts did he replace the rubber mount and the small bushing on the shaft?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks so much for replying. He did change the mounts as well. He also put it on a lift, but, he is not a VW dealership serviceman, so maybe he just doesn't know the type of car well? He has serviced my father's Toyota and my old Mustang wonderfully for years. But, not my VW Beetle :/ So, he shouldn't be tightening the bushings? Is he BS-ing me to say they are loose? I'm just not sure what to tell him to do or look for. And why does it only happen when it's been out in the cold? I am so frustrated :(

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
When it is cold the rubber bushing will get hard and stiff and cause noises.

The reason to not tighten the bolts on suspension part is most bushings have a metal insert designed so the bushing does not crush when the bolt is tighten. To much "tightness" can bind the bushing up and the corresponding suspension parts thus not allowing them to move correctly. A large number of bolts on a VW are single use torque to yield bolts. Meaning they are designed to be taken to the torque specification once. Over tightening that type of bolt can cause it to fail(break) If it breaks with you driving down the road bad things could happen( like cause you to wreak the car).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much! Well, I now know more about bushings than I ever imagined I would :) I really appreciate your help. But now I am worried about the fact that he went around tightening a whole bunch of them :O Sigh.... I will show him what you wrote, and maybe, if he remembers which ones he tightened, he can undo what he did. Worried! Thank you and have a great day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts