VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

So I have a 1998 VW Beetle and the radio went out. I have been looking on Ebay for a new stock radio so I don't have to go with an aftermarket one. My question is, should I get a Monsoon radio or not? The radio I have now isn't a Monsoon so if I were to get a Monsoon radio, would it be the same as mine now? Or would it be better to stick to a radio that isn't Monsoon. I guess I just really don't know the difference between the two..

Thanks!
:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Monsoon is VW's externally amplified/upgraded sound system. It was offered on the later Beetles in addition to the Golfs/Jettas and I believe the Passats, as well. In the Beetle, Monsoon had an amplifier mounted in the trunk behind the spare tire carpet cover in addition to having additional speakers.

I'm sorry to say I don't have a concrete answer for you as to whether or not the Monsoon will work, as I've read yes and no, but hopefully someone can give you a better answer. I was recently looking to add a later model CD player to my '99, but I didn't want to fork over the money until I was sure that it would work...I haven't been able to confirm whether the CD player can play nice in the older car.

:band:

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
You *can* install a factory VW Monsoon head unit, but if your car did not come with the Monsoon sound system, then it does not have the speakers, Monsoon amp etc., so for the same amount of money you can get an aftermarket head unit that will work just as well. I always suggest Crutchfield, they will take good care of you and send you in the right direction - not to sound like a commercial for them but I have been buying from them for years and have never had a bad experience. And it won't cost as much as you might think. Best of all - when you buy from them they send you the installation hardware, wiring harness etc. for free.

Best of luck,
Chef

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that helpful info! I will probably go with an aftermarket radio now instead of the stock. Do you know if I will still be able to use my 6 cd changer that I have in my trunk with a new aftermarket radio?

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Here is the deal with the factory cd changer - they are nice but they are kind of ... old. Sure they are great to have and I like keeping a car as stock as possible, but most new car stereos have front usb inputs, which means you can put the music from all your cd's onto one thumb drive and use that when you drive, and free up some room in your trunk by removing your old cd changer. Or you can always just leave it there in case you ever want to sell your car and return it to stock. Speaking of which, if you do replace your factory stereo, it might be a good idea to keep it just in case you want to do that. Alot of people will pay more for a car that is in its original condition than they will with mods.

And it is really convenient being able to pop in a thumb drive and drive all day without ever changing cd's etc. This is the one I installed in my 02.

Chef

Attachments

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
Tbh you can't go wrong with Blaupunkt audio. It's what your original stuff is so when you plug it in it talks to the car nicely.
Also they have a colour change option on them so you can get the dash to look fairly oem.

Bad photo but gives you an idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys!

So I have a 1998 VW Beetle and the radio went out. I have been looking on Ebay for a new stock radio so I don't have to go with an aftermarket one. My question is, should I get a Monsoon car dvd players or not? The radio I have now isn't a Monsoon so if I were to get a Monsoon radio, would it be the same as mine now? Or would it be better to stick to a radio that isn't Monsoon. I guess I just really don't know the difference between the two..

Thanks!

:)
Have you got your Monsoon radio? i need one such like that so can you help me out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts