NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Can somebody identify this particular sensor in my 1.8 Turbo engine compartment? 2002. I don't have a tech. manual.

It appears to affect one of the radiator fans??
What does it do?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering if it was the a/c thermal cutoff switch? So many names....so many switches...:-(

It has a strange wrap around metal clip that holds the upper part of the sensor into place.
I uploaded another picture ...from the rear of the engine.

Thanks for the help.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Yeah that is the coolant sensor... there is another coolant temp sensor further back on that line that connects to the side of the block. On that hose, there is an additional coolant temp sensor (usually go bad).

The sensor you have pictured I have not heard alot of people have issues with.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
JetPuf said:
It's the AC cutoff temp sensor. the coolant temp sensor that controls the idiot light and such is closer to the block.
nope..sorry dude...wrong engine but same sensor, the ac cut off, i believe is actually mounted to the fans/radiator again i will have to check my bently manual(will actually remember to do this tonight :doh: )

http://newbeetle.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1380

·
Goober
42 Posts
i have two coolant sensors?

ok, so the red flashing temp light comes on last night on my way home from work. I pulled over right away and had it towed home. Then, today I logon here and find all kinds of great information and decide to go ahead and replace the coolant temperature sensor and then the thermostat and then the water pump, etc. Anyways, I call the local parts store and go pick up the sensor. Well, I get home and look in my Hayes (grrr! can i tell you how much i hate this manual) manual and pull what I think is the coolant sensor.

But, it's got 2 prongs and a D shaped connector and is only about an inch long. What I brought home from the parts store has 4 connectors, is green and is about an inch and a half long. Hum?

So, I come back on here and see that there may be two sensors? And the one I wanted to replace was further back near the engine block. Ok, fine. I'll replace that one and put the other, smaller D shaped one back.

I go to put the D-shaped one back and I can't get the green retainer clip to fasten securely. I hear it kinda click in there and seems to be snug on the ring and in the correct position (just like I took it out) but the D-shaped sensor just falls out in my hand.

I go to replace the other sensor near the engine block and I drop and lose the black retainer clip for this one! Gone. Can't find it anywhere. I even ran water and pulled off the air filter cover looking for it. Gone. Ugh! Bad day or what?! hahahahaha!

Questions:

1) So, I see that I can order the black retainer clip from ECS Tuning, but is there any way to get this locally? I really don't want to spend money for shipping on a 55 cent item.

2) What is going on with the green retainer clip not fitting or securing the sensor all of a sudden? I even tried to press it together with pliers and makes sure it would grip/click tight but the sensor still just wiggles free in my hand and needless to say coolant leaks from it.

Note: I did make sure to put the O-rings back in place before trying to seat the sensor(s).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Goober
42 Posts
^^^cool! thanks! i'll give that a try. i removed the plastic cover from the front underside and felt around that way but no luck. then, i covered up the electrical components and ran a hose over the area trying to flush it loose, but no avail. damn thing must have fallen into a wormhole! :)

·
Goober
42 Posts
^^^thanks for the thought but no, that's not it. my post was probably mis-read. I put them back just like they came out. 1 O-ring in each slot for each sensor. I put the D-shaped sensor back in with 1 O-ring and the green U-shaped retainer clip (which isn't holding it in). Then, I put the Black, 4-prong sensor back in with 1 O-ring, and am missing the black U-shaped retainer clip.

·
Goober
42 Posts
Success!

Ok, so I was able to get things all put back together and my car is all good now. I tested the cooling system by running at idle, checking for leaks at the site of the two sensors, below the car, and at the other junction points. I let it run until the fans kicked on and my temperature warning light did NOT come on. The blue light came on at the beginning and then 2 minutes or so it went off and no other lights came on. I watched the coolant fluid level at it rose slightly and then when the fans kicked on (or about that time) it went down slightly, so I figure the thermostat is working properly. Sweeeet! So, I took some pictures to hopefully help other people out.

To get the retainer clips to fasten properly, I did two things.

For the Round 4 prong sensor toward the back of the bay, I pushed down firmly while sliding the black retainer clip on, making sure to seat the clip on top of the grooved area. 1 O-ring was in the tube when I seat the sensor back into the tube. It did require quite a bit of fiddling and pushing to get it in correctly.

For the D-shaped 2 prong sensor toward the front of the engine bay, I put the 1 O-ring on the sensor first. Then put the sensor and 1 O-ring into the tube. Very important! This helped tremendously. Then I applied a bit of pressure with my thumb from the top and the rest of my hand below the junction point (kinda squeezing that area) and slid the green retainer clip on until it also fastened OVER the bump area.

Here's some pics and hope they help!

·
Goober
42 Posts
ok, so I run the car, as stated below, for like 20 minutes in the driveway and no flashing light warning. I think "it's good" and put everything back together and go for a test drive. Sure enough, I get 5 minutes down the road and the temperature light comes back on, blinking red and the audio beeping! Grrr!

I nurse it back home, about 2 minutes, pull in the driveway and when I go to shut it down, and it's just there in the driveway STILL RUNNING, the red temperature light is now off. What?!

Both fans are running.

I shut the car down and open the hood. Check the sensor areas for leakage. None.

I check for other leakage. There is some coolant running down the bottom of the resevoir onto the ground. I can hear the resevoir hissing but no smoke.

Did I overfill it? See picture below, the red line is where I have coolant filled to. Would overfilling cause the temperature light to go bonkers? Why is the warning only going when I drive it and not at idle, even when I let it idle until the fans kick on?

Attachments

·
Turbo S Bug & C6 Vette???
47 Posts
Having same problems myself...setting here with VAG-COM connected and temp went all the way to 132C on revving the engine. Not good.

Idles at 108C, fans kick on at 122C.

·
47 Posts
Specification is 110C max.

Peaks at 128C and light comes on, idle until it drops below 120C and the light goes out.

80F here in KC today.

Trouble code being thrown is:

16500 Engine coolant temp sensor (g62) implausible signal
P0116-35-00

looking it up now...

Gotta be a bad switch???

The only thing is it puked some water out on the way from work in the driveway. Must have got darn hot to do that, maybe fans weren't running when they were supposed to?

Also noticed AC would not function while temp light is on...make sense as condenser is in front of radiator...

·
Goober
42 Posts
Few specs on my car:

106,000+ miles
Never had water pump or timing belt done

Ran for several summers with no problems, outside air temp well over 98 degrees F. This overheat problem occurred when the outside air temp was 85 degrees F and showed up suddenly. Basically, I rounded a curve, shifted into 4th gear and *poof* red flashing temp light. Pulled over. No leaks. Both fans running.

I changed the temp sensor and so now I'm thinking waterpump because the level of fluid goes down when the fans kick on and both main coolant hoses, top and bottom, seem hot, hot air can be blown from the inside with the a/c off, so that leads me to believe that the thermostat is functioning properly but the waterpump isn't.

Does that sound right?

·
47 Posts
I'm a little puzzled by this myself...going to try switch first on mine too, but I think it may be fine like yours apparently was...

Where did you find the temp switch? VW dealer? Oreilly said they can't get it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts