NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Die with your boots on
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 1998 2.0 with 260k miles. Been sitting for over a year. Has a bad clutch, a blown head gasket, bad heater core and a bad fuel pump (or fuel pressure regulator). I could probably do most of the work myself (wouldn't want to mess with the clutch) and I definitely don't have the money to hand it to a mechanic. I do have a nice garage and plenty of friends, including you all, that know what they're doing.

What would you do if you were me?

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
I'd look for a good replacement motor and then while you were at it pulling the motor,I would add a new clutch and drop it in. There seems to be a few part outs here lately.If it would make it easier to replace the blower motor while the motor was out,that's the time to do that. With 260k miles on it,you may be better off locating a replacement motor.To me that would make better sense as to drop a new head on a motor with that many miles.I would think you'd need a couple tools to align the clutch and pressure plate and a torque wrench,but that should be the worst. What's the worst that you could do? Not get it in and it sits a while longer..

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
Yup, what he said. You obviously have another vehicle to drive, so you don't have to rush. I vote to save it.
Barb

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Scott!!! You remembered us!!!

I'd fix it too... i have my own 2.0 which needs head work that's been sitting for months now too. just no money for parts right now.

·
Super Moderator
14,756 Posts
I didn't know Noira was dead! :cry:

If you love her as much as I think you do, revive her. Or get a newer one? :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Junk it!

Depends upon whether your a realist or a dreamer. Very few automobiles, built with planned obsolescence, at 14 years and 260k miles, warrant spending more money to resurrect than a comparable running version of the same automobile would cost to buy And unless this Bug had been impeccably maintained when it quit running, just about everything that can be replaced needs to be replaced, not just the components that are trashed. And when you do get 'er running, what have you got? A 14 year old, wore out, beat down, car with 260k miles on it. Sorry, you asked.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
It's a 1998 2.0 with 260k miles. Been sitting for over a year. Has a bad clutch, a blown head gasket, bad heater core and a bad fuel pump (or fuel pressure regulator). I could probably do most of the work myself (wouldn't want to mess with the clutch) and I definitely don't have the money to hand it to a mechanic. I do have a nice garage and plenty of friends, including you all, that know what they're doing.

What would you do if you were me?
This is a project that I would attempt and it is not as difficult as you might think. I have done a 2.0 Cylinder Head and if it has an O2J Transmission, I have done one of those, recently I might add and I am currently doing a clutch. If you have another vehicle to drive, as I do, then resurrection is the route I would go. A used motor swap would be pricey and does not necessarily exclude you from any surprise repairs after installation. A new motor swap, to expensive.

Depends upon whether your a realist or a dreamer. ... A 14 year old, wore out, beat down, car with 260k miles on it. Sorry, you asked.
MORAV, respectfully I will have to disagree with you. It is not about reality or fiction; only where to best put your time and money and sometimes the simplest approach turns out not to be so simple; also remember appearances can be deceiving.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,098 Posts
If this came up a few months ago, I had less than 102k on my 2.0 that I could have sold you. I was hoping to sell off the engine/trans to keep from scrapping the car, but Copart took her :(

·
Die with your boots on
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd look for a good replacement motor and then while you were at it pulling the motor,I would add a new clutch and drop it in.
Yup, what he said. You obviously have another vehicle to drive, so you don't have to rush. I vote to save it.
Barb
This seems like the most expensive option at this point. Also, I don't have an engine hoist. I'll definitely keep this in mind when browsing around. If a cheap 2.0 pops up I might jump on it.

Scott!!! You remembered us!!!
I'd fix it too... i have my own 2.0 which needs head work that's been sitting for months now too. just no money for parts right now.
I may not ever post anymore (mostly due to the car being out of commission) but I'll never forget you guys!

Stuff in a VR6 !!!!
I wish!

I didn't know Noira was dead! :cry:
If you love her as much as I think you do, revive her. Or get a newer one? :eek:
Sad but true, Deb. I'm leaning towards revival at this point.

Depends upon whether your a realist or a dreamer. A 14 year old, wore out, beat down, car with 260k miles on it. Sorry, you asked.
I understand all of your points, but I don't want to give her up without a fight. I don't plan on it becoming a money pit because I'm well aware of the car's limitations and my own, both mechanical and financial.

This is a project that I would attempt and it is not as difficult as you might think. I have done a 2.0 Cylinder Head and if it has an O2J Transmission, I have done one of those, recently I might add and I am currently doing a clutch. If you have another vehicle to drive, as I do, then resurrection is the route I would go. A used motor swap would be pricey and does not necessarily exclude you from any surprise repairs after installation. A new motor swap, to expensive.
Maybe I'm saying this because this is what I want to hear, but I like this answer best. I'd like to hear more about your recent work and how you went about it.

Thanks, everyone!

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,148 Posts
SCOTT!!!!! Long time no see!! I would fix her if I could. If you can afford to do it as the money comes in, you do have a nice garage, and your friends can help you. I assume you are driving something now, so if you can afford the time, bring Noir back to us!!!! have a Merry Christmas!!!

·
Die with your boots on
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If this came up a few months ago, I had less than 102k on my 2.0 that I could have sold you. I was hoping to sell off the engine/trans to keep from scrapping the car, but Copart took her :(
I knew about this and saw the pictures but it didn't even cross my mind to ask you about it. I'm dumb.

·
Super Moderator
14,756 Posts
Woohoo! Rock on, iScott! :clap:

·
Die with your boots on
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SCOTT!!!!! Long time no see!! I would fix her if I could. If you can afford to do it as the money comes in, you do have a nice garage, and your friends can help you. I assume you are driving something now, so if you can afford the time, bring Noir back to us!!!! have a Merry Christmas!!!
Great to hear from you, bScott! Right now I'm driving a Saturn that I bought for $750. Pretty damn good car, especially for the money. Thanks for the encouragement!

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
If she's a paid off car, and you have something else to drive, then fix her. I know plenty of people in the area, we could gather them all up and help you. Clutch and all! :) We could do a mini gtg/repair day/weekend, whatever it takes.

Lemme know and we can plan something and get the ball rollin'!

·
Die with your boots on
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If she's a paid off car, and you have something else to drive, then fix her. I know plenty of people in the area, we could gather them all up and help you. Clutch and all! :) We could do a mini gtg/repair day/weekend, whatever it takes.
Yeah, she's super paid off. Saturn seems to be running strong so I think I'm good for a while. As much as I love the idea of getting the Bug running again, I hate the idea of a bunch of people helping me for no reason. I don't suppose I'll stop anyone, but it's just my nature. I know a bunch of folks, too, so maybe I can cook a huge dinner and supply a bunch of beer and knock it out one day/weekend.

I guess at this point I'm going to start taking the motor apart and budgeting out the replacement parts.

·
Super Moderator
14,756 Posts
If you do get her running, keep us posted on any progress. It's sad to think she's just sitting. :eek:

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts

Maybe I'm saying this because this is what I want to hear, but I like this answer best. I'd like to hear more about your recent work and how you went about it.
What would like to know?

Here is what I do...

Step One: Plan (in small steps)...
Step Two: Budget for Step One ...
Step Three: Do the work in the smallest steps as possible so you can go back to step one when needed before any serious money is spent...

This way nothing is missed and if you do the work yourself, your NB will never be a money pit; labor is where the money really goes.

The only work I would send out, would be the cylinder head for a complete rework.

·
Die with your boots on
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What would like to know?
Thanks for the tips. Really the only think I'm curious about is flushing out the coolant/oil mix out of the engine and cooling system. Am I basically just going to have to waste a bunch of coolant and oil trying to get it clean?

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,148 Posts
Great to hear from you, bScott! Right now I'm driving a Saturn that I bought for $750. Pretty damn good car, especially for the money. Thanks for the encouragement!
Sounds like you got a good deal! The thing is you still have your baby, you don't have to make a decision tomorrow! Whatever you decide to do, I wish you and Noir Good Luck:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts