NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I bought a 2000 GLS 2.0 for my daughter a few weeks ago. I didn’t realize the check engine light was on until after I purchased it. We’ve had the codes read and got about 14 of them! One of them was low battery. We’ve had the batter checked and it’s fine. We also got a throttle position sensor code, and cyl 2 & 3 misfire code. We’ve replaced spark plugs and wires, throttle body, ignition coil pack and reattached some vacuum hoses that were just lying around inside. We’re stumped on what to do next. The CEL light is still on and it still idles a little rough. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
I would clear all the codes; take the car for a test drive and see what codes come back. Note: codes will be saved in memory, build up over time; until they are cleared and so, the saved codes, may not apply to what is currently going on with your car.

As a older, almost 20 year old Volkswagen; you can expect to spend some time, money and effort; to get it to a reliable, correctly running daily driver.

Having the charging system tested; is a good idea; low voltage, can make these cars freak out, throw a bunch of codes and run poorly. This is particularly the case; as the whole car is computer controlled and the computers cannot function correctly with out adequate voltage.

Post the codes that you get and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! We will try this. My son is doing the majority of the work. I’m assisting. It’s a learning curve for sure!

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Ground cable

did u check the Negative ground chassis cable where it mounts under the battery tray? That usually corrodes really bad especially on older cars causing all kinds of electric issues. Go read the post I did a few yrs back titled "CAUTION in the 1.8t section it's got pictures and all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts