VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am torn between getting another convertible or a hatchback.

1. The convertible is an 03 GLS and needs either a gear shifter/magnetic strip or transmission module, I have already looked at price and videos about replacing, but no luck on that particular car, just the Jetta and other vehicles. And the price is $1900
2. The hatch back is a 2003 also and simply needs an ECU, I already have a person to buy one from for less than $200. Just waiting on the verification of the serial number. If it matches my current one, I’ll just switch and part out my current one which is nothing but problems(paperwork wise). And the price is only $1450.

Any and all advice is welcomed and needed!!!!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,353 Posts
Is the replacement ECU immobilizer defeated? or do you have access to VAG-Tacho and VCDS? Its not a plug and play swap if you don't have the immobilzier defeated.

Other information would be good - what engines and transmissions? What issues specifically are going on with them? Are you sure the car needs an ECU? How many miles on the cars? What are the maintenance histories like?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, the one with the ECU needing replaced had the codes read and it is the ECU. The engine is a 1.8L engine. My current person sells the ECU with the immobilizer defeated for less that $160. The owners of the 2003 Hatchback work a lot, so I am waiting on the serial number of the ECU to figure out if mine will match or I’ll need another one. Both cars are automatics.
The convertible is the one with the transmission issue. Which the seller says she had checked out and it’s either the gear shifter/magnetic strip or the transmission module and that the transmission is actually good. The convertible is a 2.0L engine.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,353 Posts
I would be interested to see the code numbers coming up on the second car. ECUs do fail, but is not super common. The fact that you can still read codes from it, says its not in terrible condition. Could need a relay or something much more simple.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He says it cranks but doesn’t accelerate. I can’t go check it out until the weekend. And I’ll go from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts