NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought my 2008 (manual, gas) Beetle new back in 2007, and have been really bad about maintenance (dealership overcharges, is far away, and has inconvenient opening hours). Apart from regular oil and oil filter changes, and the regular hassle with burnt out light bulbs, I have not done much to my baby.
As a matter of fact, I'll soon have to replace the black plastic thing that holds the passenger side headlight assembly, because Valveline broke it, and I am only driving with one headlight at the moment.

I've been unsuccessfully waiting for nicer colors on the new Beetles, as well as the new frugal Blue Motion Diesel engines to hit the States, and it seems like the 2015 lineup won't be any different than last year. My baby is gecko green with light beige leather seats - nothing comes close to it in color choices any more :(

Here's my question: I am coming up on 99,000 miles. How much longer can I drive it without starting to replace a ton of things, and what kind of repair costs can I expect, if I keep it for another year?
I live in New England, so my car has seen its share of salt, cold temperatures, and potholes, and the mileage is 60% highway, 40% city.

How many miles can one put on a Beetle, before the engine dies?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
My 99 2.0 has a hundred and eighty five thousand original miles on it so far. Original clutch, original starter, original alternator. The only thing I have changed, is the timing belt and water pump. And the air conditioning compressor!
Also have over 100,000 miles on it second set of brakes. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 99 2.0 has a hundred and eighty five thousand original miles on it so far. Original clutch, original starter, original alternator. The only thing I have changed, is the timing belt and water pump. And the air conditioning compressor!

Wow, that's great to hear!
Oh yes, I did get new break pads once or twice as well, I forgot to mention those.
Did you need new timing belt, water pump and AC compressor, or did you just replace them at a specific mileage because it's recommended?

·
Registered
177 Posts

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Are most of the mileage on your Beetle highway mileage? I am very surprised at seeing your original clutch with such a high mileage.

·
Registered
177 Posts

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
May I ask how many times you have the timing belts changed so far??? Once or twice? At what mileage did you have them changed respectively if twice?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
May I ask how many times you have the timing belts changed so far??? Once or twice? At what mileage did you have them changed respectively if twice?
I was unaware of the service intervals in till I found this site.
My first timing belt was not changed until 147 thousand miles!
My car sees about half hiway and half city driving miles.
It is not uncommon for VW clutches to see well over 200,000 miles before needing to be replaced.
Oh, and the air conditioning compressor stopped working after 10 years. So I replaced it! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is not uncommon for VW clutches to see well over 200,000 miles before needing to be replaced.
Oh, and the air conditioning compressor stopped working after 10 years. So I replaced it! :)

Maybe that's a stupid question, but how would I know when the timing belt, for instance, needs to be replaced? In your case, did you wait until it broke?

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Yours has the chain, not the belt. A clutch can last well over 200k miles. If you treat it right the engine should last a minimum of 200k. Another 06+ owner needs to chime in about the chain and any other maintenance.

·
Registered
177 Posts

:cool::cool::cool:
Are you sure you had the first timing belt changed at 147,000 miles????? Are you sure????
Jesus! Please check your owner manual to see the timing belt change interval. I am pretty
sure they recommend the first change before 90,000 miles.

Mine is Australian version and the owner manual requires the first change before 120,000
kms(74500 miles). Frankly, I am very surprised at seeing your first change at 147,000 miles
if the belt was not broken.

I have a friend who owns a 1997 Camry and he told me he has had timing belt changed only once
when his car hit nearly 300,000 kms !!!! That sounds really weird and he was very lucky.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was unaware of the service intervals in till I found this site. My first timing belt was not changed until 147 thousand miles! My car sees about half hiway and half city driving miles. It is not uncommon for VW clutches to see well over 200,000 miles before needing to be replaced. Oh, and the air conditioning compressor stopped working after 10 years. So I replaced it! :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Before you had the timing belt changed, did you see any visible
minor cracks on the belt or not? Did you see any worn out of the belt???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I would NOT recommend going past the factory intervals for changing and servicing the timing belt.
It was only by the grace of God that I found this site, and changed mine out just in the nick of time!:eek:

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Whose? Mine? I heard chains don't need replacements, is that right?
Yes I was referring to your post. The thread got a little off topic....I heard the same but I don't know that for sure. Do you have a VW mechanic in your area? (Avoid dealerships)

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
Some of the 2.5L have had issues (earlier models); historically... it can be pretty expensive to repair, so I would definitely keep an eye on yours or have it checked out or just replace it at some point, as a preventative measure (I guess we need to research the service interval on it). While chains are "better"; they don't last forever and can fail, the failure seems to not be the chain totally breaking but stretching out that causes problems or the tensioners failing (possibly from wear or a combo of both issues). A proactive maintenance and repair; would make sense and save you money in the long run, rather then a catastrophic failure, that would require allot of money or a more cost effective solution being a replacement engine. More info; here:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-5-liter-gas/61449-2006-2-5-engine.html

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/61623-2006-nbcs-reliable.html

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5139503-2-5-Intake-Timing-Chain-Issues

1 - 15 of 15 Posts