VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Yay!! Finally got a Bug!!
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been Bugless for a while now but that's soon to be rectified . I am currently looking st a 2007 Beetle with an automatic . I has about 105000KMs (roughly 60000 miles) on it . I have looked through the site and seen a few things about the timing chains , but is there anything else I need to keep my eyes open for??

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
The automatics are failure prone; it is a matter "when", not "if" they will need rebuilt or repaired. You would be looking at a 09G; while better than the earlier 01M, they still do fail. Do you have to have a automatic or are you willing to get a stick? They last longer and are more durable. How long; do you want to keep the car on the road?

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The automatics are failure prone; it is a matter "when", not "if" they will need rebuilt or repaired. You would be looking at a 09G; while better than the earlier 01M, they still do fail. Do you have to have a automatic or are you willing to get a stick? They last longer and are more durable. How long; do you want to keep the car on the road?
I personally would prefer a standard but my wife refuses to learn so I have to have an auto . I am a highly qualified mechanic , albeit not a VW one . Certain things I can take care of myself , so some issues I am not concerned about . Replacing a trans (as I know VW doesn't rebuild the transmissions at the dealerships) is something I can do . Only concern old be cost . Also most of the driving on this car will b highway as I work in another city 20 mins away from my house .

As far as time goes , I'm looking at having this car for a good 4-5 years . My last Bug I had for 4 years . My daughter will be getting her learner's permit next month and is looking forward to doing it in this car .

·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the dal with the 07 fell through , but now in negotiations on a 2006 Cyber Green bug . Has about 145000Kms on it . The cool part is that I will get to know this car really quickly as its 1200kms away from me in Victoria B.C. Canada . My brother lives just outside of Victoria so he will look at the car for me this week and let me know how it is . Just like me , he is a mechanic , so I know I have a professional opinion on the car . If that checks out I will be flying into Victoria on the 12 of March and driving it home . And those of you that know B.C. know that it will be almost all mountain driving . Going to break the drive up into 2 days . I am really looking forward to this as I think it will be huge fun!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts