VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· 131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know where to put this but I thought I should just ask..

It won't be till like two years till I can get one but I'm about to be in the air force soon and I Want to save up the money I make to buy a Beetle..

I want to know what year model will be a good buy? I deft don't want 2003 and older because I already have a 2002 2.0L and it's given me nothing but problems since I've gotten it. Any suggestions?

>>United States Air Force

· The Fire Elemental Angel
150 Posts
06 to10 would be good but cost more depending where you live. For me, I always wanted year 10 for my dream car, yet, I have to start lower previous years just to start due to the price on used beetle.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

· 131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
06 to10 would be good but cost more depending where you live. For me, I always wanted year 10 for my dream car, yet, I have to start lower previous years just to start due to the price on used beetle.

I totally agree! I want the '10 Aquarius blue convertible for my dream car lol but 06 and up sounds good to me, hopefully they are more efficient

>>United States Air Force<<

· Registered
377 Posts
yeah, price of these used is a bit high. I dont know if 2003 or older would always be moe trouble, but them they are older cars and it all depends how they were cared for, as well as anything mechanically will break down due to age. I love my 2003, relatively few troubles so far all in all.

It would be nice to consider no timing belt problems if I ever look to upgrade I will consider 2006-2010. or if Im lucky some day Ill get a 2013 beetle with tdi

· 131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, price of these used is a bit high. I dont know if 2003 or older would always be moe trouble, but them they are older cars and it all depends how they were cared for, as well as anything mechanically will break down due to age. I love my 2003, relatively few troubles so far all in all.

It would be nice to consider no timing belt problems if I ever look to upgrade I will consider 2006-2010. or if Im lucky some day Ill get a 2013 beetle with tdi
I guess it's that some have problems and some dont.. Mine has had problems since day one.. My aunt has a yellow 2000 beetle and has never had any problems lol

I deft wanna upgrade to a newer model :)

· The Fire Elemental Angel
150 Posts
I guess it's that some have problems and some dont.. Mine has had problems since day one.. My aunt has a yellow 2000 beetle and has never had any problems lol

I deft wanna upgrade to a newer model :)

Yeah, like one article I read said that if bought the good beetle will always be good car but if bought bad car it always be problematic. :/

· 131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, like one article I read said that if bought the good beetle will always be good car but if bought bad car it always be problematic. :/

I guess mine is under the bad category :/ but I'm trying my best to keep Ringo Well :) as so far everything been good, once I get my alternator replaced he will be back to his normal self

· 5/23/10 <3
11,764 Posts
Just FYI thatin '06 they did have the TDI still and that did have a timing belt.

· Registered
158 Posts
I totally agree! I want the '10 Aquarius blue convertible for my dream car lol but 06 and up sounds good to me, hopefully they are more efficient

If you do eventually get a vert, definately buy it in the winter. I looked for a year and watched prices go up and down with the seasons on the same cars..lol. I was watching one that was 16k in Feb, go up to 18k by the end of march, beginning of April. Ofcourse it sold when the weather got nice

· 131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you do eventually get a vert, definately buy it in the winter. I looked for a year and watched prices go up and down with the seasons on the same cars..lol. I was watching one that was 16k in Feb, go up to 18k by the end of march, beginning of April. Ofcourse it sold when the weather got nice
I deft wanna get a vert!!! :)

· Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Convertibles by nature aren't going to be more efficient in MPGs than the hardtop because of added weight and drag from being a convertible. That said if you get a power top, be prepared for the day when it has some kind of problem: back glass comes lose from wear, top generally degrades and leaks, or the power folding system has a fault and refuses to operate. I am a rather big advocate for manual windows and tops; but all convertibles came with power windows but it seems many 06's came with manual tops -- while a bit more annoying to work with, the longer lasting in my opinion. I still see lots of convertibles at indie and dealer shops; 8 out of 10 have a "top problem."

There's always brand new with warranty, which might be a better option for you. The 2013 convertible arrives this fall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.