NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
I recently re-did my door jambs. They were a mess. I started with 800 grit, then moved to 1000, 1500 and finished with 2000. If you can FIND 2500 go ahead and use it. But 2000 should be fine. To re-spray with a new primer, try to get one as close to the color of your paint as possible. I use a white primer as my car is white. You can find more than grey if you look around. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
937 Posts
400 wet sand. Don't use anything finer than 600 before paint. It will end up chipping really easy, or worse yet, peel again. There is no reason to use anything finer than 600 underneath paint. All you are doing is sanding off the "tooth" the paint needs to grip to.

400 will work good to remove. Then use a good primer (sandable), then wet sand 600, then paint.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I recently re-did my door jambs. They were a mess. I started with 800 grit, then moved to 1000, 1500 and finished with 2000. If you can FIND 2500 go ahead and use it. But 2000 should be fine. To re-spray with a new primer, try to get one as close to the color of your paint as possible. I use a white primer as my car is white. You can find more than grey if you look around. Good luck! :)
:jawdrop: Perhaps, you mean 80, 100, 150, 200 and 250?

40 grit and then spray without masking anything off.
:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

400 wet sand. Don't use anything finer than 600 before paint. It will end up chipping really easy, or worse yet, peel again. There is no reason to use anything finer than 600 underneath paint. All you are doing is sanding off the "tooth" the paint needs to grip to.

400 will work good to remove. Then use a good primer (sandable), then wet sand 600, then paint.
;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts