NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone knows anyone with an exeptionally fast NB?........ 2.0 naturally aspirated..... Is it possible to do low 13's in the quarter????

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
i know of a couple gti with the new age 2.0 that run desent times... only way u going ot see 13's is a turbo

·
266 Posts
Billsbug said:
LOL, that's like saying "Anyone know anyone with an exceptionally fast pet turtle?"...:p
Hey, dont think the 2.0 is that slow, cause you 1.8t isn't that fast either. compared to most cars on the road they are both slow. Atleast the high rollen cars found in fl. But i also have heard of the 11.0sec 2.0 golf.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Beetlecup said:
Hey, dont think the 2.0 is that slow, cause you 1.8t isn't that fast either. compared to most cars on the road they are both slow. Atleast the high rollen cars found in fl. But i also have heard of the 11.0sec 2.0 golf.
its in st louis and currently torn apart right now for upgrades

1.8t's thinking they are fast LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Billsbug said:
2.O's that even Want to be as fast as a 1.8T LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...;)
i wouldn't waste my time with making a 2.0 or a 1.8t 'fast' ;)

what do you run in the quarter anyways? or what are some of the 'fast' 1.8ts running(that are either on this board or like a friend of someone on this board) not talking well this guy in a magazine with a nb and a 1.8t runs this

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
I'm not going to sit here and attempt to justify either motor, each serves its own purpose. However, I think your a little early to jump all over beetlecup. His comment is comparing the 1.8T motor to other forced induction cars that fall into the same category. And he is completely correct in saying that the 1.8T motor is not on par with other market vehicles.

The 1.8T is a faster motor out of the box. and yes it is much easier to extract power out of the 1.8T motor. However, you reach that point where you just can't go any further without dipping into your wallet and dropping some major coin. If your satisfied with a little over 200 hp out of your 1.8T, then your fine. If you want more, then you have to go a big turbo set-up.

The same follows for the 2.0. Your not going to get much out of the NA motor even though you can free up the motor alot with the right combination of head work, lightening, balancing and a good trans. But, if you have the money to spend, and the knowledge and patience, it really isn't out of reach to pull a good amount of horsepower out of the 2.0.

Like i said, i am not defending or promoting either motor. If you truly care that much you would have a vr6 turbo since that is where the fun is. The point is simply that it is useless to bash one or the other. Its not going to make a difference in the long run. Have fun with what you have and mod it the way you like. Its your car.

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
No bashing, just joshing, and I've had a 2.slow Jetta in the past...

jazzcat, u ever driven a nicely modded 1.8T, on the track, in the 1/4, on the streets? 'Fast' is a relative term, but there are ORG members doing 13's and that is 911 territory. Speaking for myself, I haven't been to the 1/4 track yet (I'm still waiting for the big turbo software from APR), but the only guys who can get ahead of me in present trim are M3/M5's (NOT the M-Z3 or Mini Cooper Works), 911's (NOT the base model or the Boxsters), and some exotics (NOT Maserati)...:cool:

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Billsbug said:
No bashing, just joshing, and I've had a 2.slow Jetta in the past...

jazzcat, u ever driven a nicely modded 1.8T, on the track, in the 1/4, on the streets? 'Fast' is a relative term, but there are ORG members doing 13's and that is 911 territory. Speaking for myself, I haven't been to the 1/4 track yet (I'm still waiting for the big turbo software from APR), but the only guys who can get ahead of me in present trim are M3/M5's (NOT the M-Z3 or Mini Cooper Works), 911's (NOT the base model or the Boxsters), and some exotics (NOT Maserati)...:cool:
im just playing around as well:D not meaning to offend anyone

the only nicely modded turbo cars i have experience with are ford 2.3t's and a 03 cobra that was converted to a turbo set up..never messed with building/racing fwd cars just because overall i dont like using them for high horse operations(just my opinion though..) my bug is just a daily driver and will be for a while..i might put a larger engine in it eventually or build another motor for it but my goal is getting through school so i can start on my old school projects:D

i was just curious though...this discussion has come up several times and its always the 1.8t guys coming in laughing thinking they are hot stuff..13s is a quick street car but is no means fast from what i am used to

·
6,525 Posts
Like I said above, 'fast' is a relative term. My mod's guy has a 9 second VR6 Jetta and builds 1.8T Golfs/GTI's that do 11's, but that's just straight ahead 1/4 mile stuff with slicks. Most of us spend our time on the street, where 13's in a nicely balanced, quick turning NB or other sports car would be considered pretty 'fast'...:cool:

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Billsbug said:
Like I said above, 'fast' is a relative term. My mod's guy has a 9 second VR6 Jetta and builds 1.8T Golfs/GTI's that do 11's, but that's just straight ahead 1/4 mile stuff with slicks. Most of us spend our time on the street, where 13's in a nicely balanced, quick turning NB or other sports car would be considered pretty 'fast'...:cool:
good to know :D

whats a well running stock 2.0 do in the quarter anyways? i figure mid to low 17s high 16s if lucky

1.8t with an automatic would be a mid 15 second car wouldn't it?

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Billsbug said:
This really isn't my area of expertise, it would be more like Fowvay's....

I think stock 1.8T autos run high low 16's, manual's run low 15's...
that works...i wasn't trying to start anything either..it just bothered me everytime someone with a 2.0 said anything about making it fast then all you people with the 1.8's come in and laugh at them:rolleyes:

ill get a g-tech and give it a run...see what a 2.0 5 speed does and see what a 1.8t automatic does...might be interesting

·
6,525 Posts
Don't take it personally dood...the 2.0 engine was never intended to be anything except a 'peppy, long lasting, low maintenance engine', so the innards aren't really strong enough for turbo or supercharging. The 1.8T is a tuners dream and my mods guy sez the new 2.0T is even more tuneable...

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
Billsbug said:
so the innards aren't really strong enough for turbo or supercharging.
On the contrary, the innards are pretty beefy and can accept turbo/ supercharging fairly well. the catch in the system is the head which does not flow enough to really take advantage of a turbo, and the fact that most people don't get the car tuned right for the turbo application and then blow or weaken their motor.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
bugasm99 said:
On the contrary, the innards are pretty beefy and can accept turbo/ supercharging fairly well. the catch in the system is the head which does not flow enough to really take advantage of a turbo, and the fact that most people don't get the car tuned right for the turbo application and then blow or weaken their motor.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts