·
Super Moderator
14,746 Posts
CD changer! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll just end up leaving it alone... It's hidden under the spare tire covering... We just got the car today for my daughter (1st car), and I'm going through it... AND of course, going through many threads here for tech advice!!

Thanks to everyone here... Specially to those who I have yet to get information from... But it's going to happen, undoubtedly...

·
Super Moderator
14,746 Posts
Thank you for adopting, and taking care of, that New Beetle! :party:

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Welcome to the org and congrates on the beetle. If this is your first beetle this org can be a great source for info. First maintenace item should be timing belt, water pump (one with metal impeller) timing belt tensioner. Broken belt means bent valves.

Sorry to hijack the thread mods We now return to our regular discussion

·
Kaylee Bug
366 Posts
trust people on their advice about the timing belt. I kept putting changing mine off and ended up in a sticky situation on the hottest day of the year on the interstate.

Welcome to the Org. Lots of great info to be found here & on the Vortex.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes, after reading through these forums over the last few days... Those along with new coil packs are on my immediate list of replacements over the next few weeks... In fact, the CEL came on the way home AFTER I test drove and bought it... Misfire codes... The previous owner kept a file of all previous work done to the car over her last 7 years of ownership... Just need to get that from her soon... I have to admit, I'm shocked how tight the body is, how crisp it shifts, and how it pulls when the turbo kicks in around 2200-2500 RPMs with 117k on the clock... I called VW CS, got a human on the phone within one minute, gave her my VIN and asked if there were any outstanding recall/service work on the car, they claimed there were none...

This is the first VW in the family...
My currenty daily drivers depending on the season...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got the repair history;

11/25/03 40,000 miles
Replaced Broken Vacuum Line for SEC-Air injection system (was under warranty)

2/27/04
Replaced ECU (under warranty)
Replaced Instrument Cluster

7/7/04
Replace Brake Light Switch

8/13/04
Replaced Combo Valve for Secondary Air Injection System

7/29/05
Replaced Secondary Air Hoses
Replaced front strut mounts
Replaced tires
Replaced valve cover gasket and CAM tensioner seals

12/22/05 77,000 miles
Replaced engine coolant temp sensor
Replaced cracked/frayed vacuum hoses
Replace timing belt
Replaced water pump

1/10/06
Replaced control head for heater

6/17/08
Replaced hose and reseeded secondary air pump
Replaced Glove Box door

10/27/08
Installed New Battery

10/28/08
Replaced Dip Stick and Dip Stick Tube
Replaced stripped out oil pan
Replaced Strut Mounts

7/09/09
New Tires

7/13/09
Replaced EVAP Canister

Now I own it at 117,500 miles...

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Even though the belt and wp was replaced at 77k, its time to do it again. It should be done every 4 years if the mileage interval is not met. Also make sure the tensioner gets replaced, if that fails so does the rest of the engine and any mechanic that doesn't replace it is irresponsible.

Sorry to see that you got an autotragic trans, they are sketchy units, most are lucky to see 150k miles. I would advise dropping the pan and replacing the fluid and filter. VW dealers will tell you it can't be done, but they are FOS as is typical. There is a special procedure required since it doesn't have a dipstick, and VW fluid must be used. I can get you more info on that of you haven't come across it already.

Sent from my DROID2

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There should have been at least two coil pack recalls on there. Call another dealer.
May have been performed prior the seconed owner... When I called VW America they told me there were no outstanding recall services based on the VIN...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts