NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the Chicago suburbs the price of gas has been dropping like a rock while the price of diesel has been skyrocketing. Is it like this everywhere? Is it just an increase due to a winter mix or something more sinister? I'm seeing an average of $3.69 for diesel and $2.89 for premium gas. Just a month ago the price for diesel was about the same as mid-grade gas. Now it's almost a dollar more than premium. That seems abnormally high to me.

·
Go Sox!
82 Posts
Concept1 said:
Here in the Chicago suburbs the price of gas has been dropping like a rock while the price of diesel has been skyrocketing. Is it like this everywhere? Is it just an increase due to a winter mix or something more sinister? I'm seeing an average of $3.69 for diesel and $2.89 for premium gas. Just a month ago the price for diesel was about the same as mid-grade gas. Now it's almost a dollar more than premium. That seems abnormally high to me.
I don't know why, but it seems diesel is more expensive particulary in the midwest. Here in CT, unleaded regular is $2.49 for the lower priced service stations, and I just saw diesel at my local Mobil station on the way home today for $2.89. Diesel fuel normally goes up in the winter because it syncs up with home heating oil prices, but the outrageous prices in the midwest are startling.

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Holy cow! I am glad I do not live in Chi-town..

$2.89-$3.09 here in PA for diesel, but I do not
buy my diesel in PA. I go across the Delaware to
Trenton where it's around $2.75 a gallon.

Gas.. passed a station earlier today, $2.28.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Local Hess:

$2.66/87
$2.86/93
$3.14/No.2 diesel

WTH :confused:

One local Texaco is wanting $3.29 for diesel! $.15 more per gallon than other stations. Yikes.

-Des

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Wow, it appears as though for no visible reason at all, South Florida's diesel prices have hit the stratosphere.

Gas is something like $2.89 right now, and diesel is as low as $3.19 and as high as $3.49! It's ridiculous! :mad:

Before the hurricane, I was going to call a local biodiesel supplier to ask their prices. I think the time has finally come to burn the bean ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
i'm glad someone brought this up. it's the same in southern ontario: gas prices are going down now after the recent insanity of it all, but diesel is staying way up. i see gas for between $0.80 to $0.90/L, but diesel is still up around $1.00.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
I think it's expected somewhat in the winter. Something with heating oil and what not. The timing of it all is making it looking funky though with gas prices dropping and diesel staying the same. However...in the Metroplex I am seeing prices range from 2.99 to 3.49 with gas at around 2.30-2.50 so who knows.

I know I filled up with B100 for 2.95 so that's cool.

·
Registered
163 Posts
jpdeuce said:
I think it's expected somewhat in the winter. Something with heating oil and what not. The timing of it all is making it looking funky though with gas prices dropping and diesel staying the same. However...in the Metroplex I am seeing prices range from 2.99 to 3.49 with gas at around 2.30-2.50 so who knows.

I know I filled up with B100 for 2.95 so that's cool.
hmm. this is true. i keep forgetting it's slowly becoming winter, and now we're a special sort of group :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
You need to remember that No.2 Diesel is the same as No.2 Fuel Oil. With that in mind, most people are currently filling the fuel oil tanks in their basement to prepare for the upcoming heating season. Simple supply and demand. There is more demand for Fuel Oil, so it gets dyed and sold as that. Thus making there less available diesel and higher prices.

·
Registered
163 Posts
arnard said:
You need to remember that No.2 Diesel is the same as No.2 Fuel Oil. With that in mind, most people are currently filling the fuel oil tanks in their basement to prepare for the upcoming heating season. Simple supply and demand. There is more demand for Fuel Oil, so it gets dyed and sold as that. Thus making there less available diesel and higher prices.

we remember all that... still sucks when you're used to having cheap fuel.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Diesel has finally started falling around here, got as high as $3.59, now it's $3.19. I read an article in the paper and it said another reason is supposedly more use by local farmers/ranchers this time of year. I don't know if I believe that, but at least it's starting to go down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ASurroca said:
Wow, it appears as though for no visible reason at all, South Florida's diesel prices have hit the stratosphere.

Gas is something like $2.89 right now, and diesel is as low as $3.19 and as high as $3.49! It's ridiculous! :mad:

Before the hurricane, I was going to call a local biodiesel supplier to ask their prices. I think the time has finally come to burn the bean ;)
Last Friday it was $3.30 in Nebraska but as of yesterday it had gone down to $2.99 for Bio Diesel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I bought diesel here in Dallas on Saturday at the truck stop for 2.55/gal. It's out of my way to go there unless I'm headed to my parents', so around the house I pay 2.79. Regular unleaded is 2.29

·
Registered
22 Posts
My wife paid $2.51 yesterday. That's down about 40 cents this week! YEAH! I had to double check the reciept to be sure that she purchased diesel and not gas.

·
04 NBC Turbo Tiptronic
80 Posts
The lowest I've seen it recently is $2.69 but the cetane rating is only 40. The station I would go to if(actually, when!) I own a TDI has 45 cetane for $2.75.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts