NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a night. My wife driving home and hit something in the road. She said it felt like it lifted her in the air. She said the steering wheel was way off center and the front drivers side tire is cambered in so bad it's hitting the strut! When she got home I jacked the car up took the wheel off and that's when I found it was rubbing the strut. It even cut the tire. We have so much oil play here in NW Oklahoma. All these oil rigs go through town and they don't strap there loads down. Ofcourse she didn't see the truck or the piece on the road. So how do you fix camber issues like this?
Here's the piece she hit ImageUploadedByAutoguide1360811623.460413.jpg
Here's the area on the strut that the tire is rubbing ImageUploadedByAutoguide1360811658.225644.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
15 Posts
The strut is likely bent right at the point it enters the spindle. If you have the alignment checked the INCLUDED ANGLE should be the same left side compared to right side. If not something is bent strut or spindle.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Looks and sounds like something may be bent??

An easy test is to get the car on a level surface and have wheels straight.

If you have a 24" level or a torpedo level and a scrap piece of wood that you can put across the tire vertically and compare the vertical level (camber) of the both front wheels.

This is likely how you may be able to see how badly the camber may be off on the drivers side??

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You have a bent strut for sure, and probably a bent knuckle also. Order a knee assembly from the junk yard,that will have everything you need on it. Don't forget to press in a new bearing, it is much easier to do it while the knuckle is already out.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The knuckle is a pretty heavy casting. I'll bet it is OK. The control arm should be checked over for any damage. It is relatively light and could be bent by getting hit by something. I'd replace the ball joint since it could have been stressed by whatever bent the strut. It is such a critical component that you don't want to risk it eventually failing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the bad thing I just installed lower arms with ball joints and the struts not more than a month ago. I bought a new strut and I am going to tear it apart this weekend. I hope that's all that is wrong!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Better check the control arm to see if it is twisted as well. Man! Lucky that whole thing didn't come apart!

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Off topic but it's awesome to see another orger in OK! I'm in tulsa if ya ever need anything :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts