NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some auto shop told me they can't inspect my 98 beetle because they need a wheel lock tool and it's not in the car. However last year I got it inspected and got new tires on it no problem at some other place. Can't they just take off the locks?

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
There should be a special "key" nut that fits over the locking lug nut to loosen it. Mine was in the spare tire well attached to, I think, the lug wrench. Take a look in there, maybe it's resting on the bottom of the tire well. If they were a good shop thy would put it back where it came from. Also check your center console or glove box. Maybe the other shop put it in one of those places.

You'll need that key to take that one locking lug nut off each wheel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't find it. Wow I guess that other shop didn't put it back. SO AGGRAVATING. SO I guess I gotta drive and hour and a half to the dealer again and pay them god knows how much for key? Can shops just take them off?

·
Registered
950 Posts
I can't find it. Wow I guess that other shop didn't put it back. SO AGGRAVATING. SO I guess I gotta drive and hour and a half to the dealer again and pay them god knows how much for key? Can shops just take them off?
Yes, you will need to replace the keyed lug nut on each wheel with a standard lug nut.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I actually lost mine this fall. Realized I didn't have it when I went to get my winter tires on. VW could not order me a new key for my car (apparently because it's a 99 they can't get keys dating back that old). There price to replace them with new key ones or even standard ones was quite high so I took it to a local garage and paid them $70 for standard lug nuts so I don't have to worry about loosing a key again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. So just to reassure...it isn't damaging to the wheel if a shop replacing them with regular lugs right? I think I'm just gonna do that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
.it isn't damaging to the wheel if a shop replacing them with regular lugs right?
Like someone else said just make sure they're replaced with the correct ones. The VW dealership I spoke to about doing mine said that it was absolutely ok to do it, I just ended up taking mine to get done at a VW speciality garage instead of dealership because of a huge price difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will take that key if you still have it. I need to get mine off but don nt want to cut them off. Ill PM you my address and pay the shipping if you still have them. Thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts
Just so you know, there are 2 different types of locking lug bolts, and of those 2 types, maybe 10 different patterns.

Also, to the guy who paid $70 to put on regular lug bolts... I hate to say it, but I think you got swindled. When I was at the dealer, we'd do it for free as long as we didn't have to drill them out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts