NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to adapt wheels for other vehicles to fit a New Beetle? Specifically, I would like to fit a set of stock Mustang Wheels (5-114 bolt pattern) on my bug.

If this can't be done, does anyone know of a set of wheels that are similar to these? I like the gray and silver look and think it would work nicely on my platinum grey TDI.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I don't know the specifics about wheel adapters... but I know they're available... my BF had a set of Porsche fitment gold LMs on his R32 and he ran adapters... he also runs adapters for his HREs... I don't know what the bolt pattern or offsets were, though... I tend not to pay much attention to his wheels 'cause he changes 'em so often. Maybe check H&R or GMP?

Yeah - I know I'm not all that helpful... but hey - I try :)

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Bugster said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to adapt wheels for other vehicles to fit a New Beetle? Specifically, I would like to fit a set of stock Mustang Wheels (5-114 bolt pattern) on my bug.

If this can't be done, does anyone know of a set of wheels that are similar to these? I like the gray and silver look and think it would work nicely on my platinum grey TDI.

To answer that question you do not only need the bolt pattern but also the offset of those wheels. I'll illustrate by calculating on adapters to fit 8x18 wheels from a Porsche Cayenne on a NB:

The Cayenne (or VW Touareg) wheels have a bolt pattern of 5/130 and an offset (ET) of 55 (millimeters, 25.4mm equals an inch). That means that the center of the width of the wheel is located 55mm towards the center of the car. On a normal NB wheel, the ET should be 35. If you put on wheels with a higher ET, it will rub the strut. If you put in wheels with a lower ET, it will stick out and might rub the wheel well.

So there is a 20mm difference between these sizes, which in this case is good, because you will be able to mount a 20mm adapter disc on your wheel hub and then screw the new wheels in this disc. 20mm is thick enough to both fit the heads of the bolts you use to screw them on your car but it also gives enough thread for the new bolts to fit firmly.

Now if those mustang wheels have an ET of 55 or more, it will be no problems to fit them on your car with 20mm or thicker adapters. But if they have a lower ET, it will become more and more difficult, because either you will have give up thickness of your adapters or accept that the wheels stick out and might rub.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, guys... I'll keep looking for a source for the EMPI 5 replicas.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That looks promising. It is a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it may be worth the extra $$$.

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
I know this might sound stupid but what about covering the center chrome part with Vinyl that is about the color of the stang rim? you might have to do sections but it would protect the chrome over the years and you would'nt have to destroy the chrome to get paint to stick to them.

·
TDi GO!
2,637 Posts
gilligan said:
I know this might sound stupid but what about covering the center chrome part with Vinyl that is about the color of the stang rim? you might have to do sections but it would protect the chrome over the years and you would'nt have to destroy the chrome to get paint to stick to them.
Not stupid at all, I almost suggested it...typed it out and deleted it actually. I looked at the rims and thought the area was a bit too large for vinyl. Small areas on wheels covered with vinyl (like some have done with the Delta X from the TS) look good, but those spokes are just too much of the wheel itself...I think it would look cheesy, especially up close.

Definately an option, and a cheap one to try out...much less than powder coat!! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts