NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Can anyone advise me on proper wheel size for a 2001 New Beetle? I was given a set of winter tires 205 50 17 and wondering if I can use them on a 2001 New Beetle before I buy a set of 17" steel rims. Much appreciated if I can get your expert advise.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The 17" aluminum wheel was available as an option and fits just fine, even with the larger recommended tire size 225/45-17.
But I believe all the factory steel wheels are 15 or 16, perhaps somebody here has seen them available in a 17" wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
16" steel wheels were the base wheel. There are no 17" factory steel wheels. As said, the factory upgrade was 17" alloy wheels, and without any modifications. Fitment of any factory 17" wheel should not be a problem. At the end of the day, however, you will probably find out a standard 16" winter tire will perform better in snow and slush than a winter 17" because of the profiles typical to both.

Just discussed in this thread
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-experience/53420-questions-about-driving-nbs-winter-conditions.html?highlight=winter+tires

MORAV

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
before I buy a set of 17" steel rims. Much appreciated
You can buy 17" steel rims and put them on a New Beetle.
You can buy any size steel rims and put them on a New Beetle up to 22" .
You can't however go smaller than 16" as the brakes will connect with the wheel.

Just make sure they are the right stud pattern before you buy them :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts