NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aloha everyone! i'm looking in to purchasing a set of (used) aftermarket wheels for my wife's beetle. nothing fancy.... the guy selling told me verbally that the wheels he's selling are 16x8 with an offset of 22. the tires on them now are 205/55/16. it's a universal 5-bolt pattern and did NOT come off of another beetle/vw. besides the bolt pattern, will these fit the new beetle? any help would be appreciated. thanks!

***if they do not fit (according to the numbers i gave), what kind of numbers should i be looking for? ie: size, offset(s), etc? thanks again

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
Well for stock 16x6.5 the offset is 35, the bolt pattern is 5x100, and a tire size of 205/55 R16. With an offset of 22 it will most likely put the wheel too close to the brake caliper and tire tize of 205/55 on an 8" wide rim will strech it way too far out.

IMHO it does not sound like a good combo for any mkIV VW.

Per VW New Beetle specs :
Tires
205/55 R16 H, all season tires (snow chain compatible)
225/45 R17 H, all season tires
205/55 R16 H, full size steel spare wheel and all season tire
Wheels
6.5J X 16'' alloy wheels
7J X 17'' alloy wheels

Per TireRack : (like jdesigns mentions below) :
Wheel Offset: +35mm
Bolt Pattern: 5-100

Offset

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset

The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive

The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative

The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.
If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside.

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
Zero offset would be exactly in the center of the wheel, 4 inches on each side of the mounting point. (8inch wheel width) TRUE
Negative offset positions the wheel TOWARDS the strut.
Positive offset positions the wheel AWAY from the strut.
Almost all cars use NEGATIVE offset wheels.
The tirerack explanation above is backwards.

For example, some Porsche wheels are 55mm offset.
To make them work on a VW, you can use 20mm or 25mm adapters (5x100 to 5x130 bolt pattern).
Using correct math:
-55mm+20mm= -35mm offset.
-55mm+25mm= -30mm offset.
IF that was positive offset, you'd get 75mm & 80mm offset, which would NOT fit our cars.

I run my 17x7" stock Daytona wheels 38mm offset (negative)with 15mm spacers in the rear.
-38mm+15mm= -23mm offset.
farther out, but still not at the wheel center line.

So the wheels would fit in the rear, but the fronts may stick out a bit too much.
And 16x8 may be outside the manufacturer's limits for rim size.
Most list 7.5" max rim width for the 205 size.
A 225/50/16 would fit very nicely on the 16x8 rim though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wheel specs

NJ Turbo said:
Zero offset would be exactly in the center of the wheel, 4 inches on each side of the mounting point. (8inch wheel width) TRUE
Negative offset positions the wheel TOWARDS the strut.
Positive offset positions the wheel AWAY from the strut.
Almost all cars use NEGATIVE offset wheels.
The tirerack explanation above is backwards.

For example, some Porshe wheels are 55mm offset.
To make them work on a VW, you can use 20mm or 25mm adapters (5x100 to 5x130 bolt pattern).
Using correct math:
-55mm+20mm= -35mm offset.
-55mm+25mm= -30mm offset.
IF that was positive offset, you'd get 75mm & 80mm offset, which would NOT fit our cars.

I run my 17x7" stock Daytona wheels 38mm offset (negative)with 15mm spacers in the rear.
-38mm+15mm= -23mm offset.
farther out, but still not at the wheel center line.

So the wheels would fit in the rear, but the fronts may stick out a bit too much.
And 16x8 may be outside the manufacturer's limits for rim size.
Most list 7.5" max rim width for the 205 size.
A 225/50/16 would fit very nicely on the 16x8 rim though.
thanks guys for all the extremely helpful info... regarding this last post about the 225/50/16 size tires, would that not be too "thick/tall" of a tire? (concerning fender rub). oh, and just FYI, there are no suspension mods on this beetle (completely stock height). thanks again, you guys are quick!

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
nei10 said:
thanks guys for all the extremely helpful info... regarding this last post about the 225/50/16 size tires, would that not be too "thick/tall" of a tire? (concerning fender rub). oh, and just FYI, there are no suspension mods on this beetle (completely stock height). thanks again, you guys are quick!
It would not be. The width and sidewall height ration would be fine. I am running 225/45/17 on 17x7.5 and my car has a 1.6 drop and I have almost 0 fender rub. As long as you can find the right offset you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
I am going to add one tiny little tidbit to the above post and that is about centering the rim.

Some rims are centered useing the lug bolts. Most Japanese cars are this way. When you tighten up the lugnuts the wheel will automatically go to absolute center.

However most european cars ( VW, Audi and Porsche included) use hub centering. So it becomes critical to have a hub centering ring installed that matches your hub diameter.

I for the life of me can not remember the exact demension of our hubs ( I believe 57mm) you will want to check with www.tirerack.com to find out for sure.

If the rims you are thinking of buying do not have the correct hub center the wheel will not be true, at best you will have a slight vibration that feels like a wheel is out of balance... at worst.. well lets not think about that... shall we?. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
2000 Beetle Wheels offset question? New owner needs help!

Hi All,

My son is now the proud owner of a 2000 New Beetle. The wheels that are on it are aftermarket and chromed and in very bad shape with cracking, ect. I want to potentially put on 18x8 inch wheels and it looks like the size the Beetle uses are very common to lots of front wheel drive cars save for the offset. I have tried to look up the range of offset that will or will not work based on the stock 35mm offset and cannot find any answers. It appears that most put 7.5 inch wheels on in the 18 in diameter but some sites offer 18x8 for the bug. My son wants Subaru WRX style wheels like the ones on the link below from Ebay. The offset is 48 however and I was wondering if someone knowledgeable could explain not only if these will or will not work but why? Will they stick out too far, stick in to far and rub? Thanks ahead to all helpful replies.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
First...the bolt pattern is wrong. The NB is a 5x100.
Second...you must make sure the hub rings are the same.
Third.... the Ebay ad states that they wont fit.

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts