NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my rear brake pads, even took time to paint the calipers, when I went to take off the from tire to do the front as well... the darn thing is STUCK. I can't wiggle it lose. I'm sure ot has to do with the new rims I recently put on. Any ideas other then beating the backside with a rubber mallet?

·
TDI Owner
172 Posts
centerbore of the wheel could be too small? But if that were the case I would think the wheel wouldn't have even fit on. I know with my aftermarket or even stock wheels sometimes some rust can really make it stuck on there. I know you said no beating it with a rubber mallet, but cover the mallet with a towell and take a fewlight wacks...thats usually what I have to do. goodluck!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Put the lugnuts back on, then back them off 1/2 turn. set the car down on the ground, start the car and turn the steering wheel back and forth 2-3 times. Shut the car off, jack up, and try to remove the wheel again. Works better than beating your wheels up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put the lugnuts back on, then back them off 1/2 turn. set the car down on the ground, start the car and turn the steering wheel back and forth 2-3 times. Shut the car off, jack up, and try to remove the wheel again. Works better than beating your wheels up.
That's a great idea!! I didn't like the wacking the wheel with a mallet as a good choice in fear of messing up my front end alignment.

I'm sure it's stuck because they are new recondistioned wheels.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If they're reconditioned, there is probably a buildup of paint/powdercoat in the wheel center bore that you should probably LIGHTLY sand off with 180 grit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts