NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: does anybody have an idea how much stock wheels weigh? I am thinking of finding some lighter wheels to help mpg. Less rotating mass.:D

·
NKAWTG-N
62 Posts
I just weight my 16 inch alloys off my 01 GLS to ship and the tire and rim weight 47 lbs each. Tires were 205/55/16

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry, I don't know either, I have a set of stock alloys in my basement that I pulled off when I went to steel but I don't have any scales. I like the steel and wheel covers as apose to a cheap alloy that will scratch if you look at it wrong. I relly don't think that the vw alloys are much lighter than their steelies. I do know it you go to a wheel like the Centerline forged aluminum they will weigh around 20lbs

·
Registered
30 Posts
one more tid-bit. I am sure you have seen this debate alot at the tdi club. If you go to a larger wheel, the general consensis is that it wil HURT you mpg. Even if the wheel is lighter. you will be adding weight further from the rotating center of your hub. even with the same outside wheel tire hight. The wheel weights more that the rubber you are replacing. You did not say you were going bigger but if you were going that way just wanted to let you know.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
If you're looking for a really light rim, then check out Rota wheels. I had a set on my Integra in 15x7 and it was I think 13 lbs for the one I had. For comparison, the alloys I pulled off were 19lbs/piece.

·
Registered
30 Posts
and don't forget, ultra lite may not be ultra good. Ask a tow truck driver about cars with blow outs that have lite weight wheels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You also need to keep in mind the road conditions. If you're in an area with lots of potholes and railroad tracks, you may bang up te ultralight rims enough to break the seal on your tires. Not a good way to improve milage by having to constantly stop and put air in the tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts