VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the daughter a '99 vw beetle. 2.0 automatic....
Obviously I didnt very little research prior to making the purchase.

116,000 miles. ran ok CEL was on turned out to be misfires.
Found one peg of the coil pack broken. replaced coil pack and it ran better...still got some misfires and a rough idle.

This weekend my wife and I put new plugs/wires on...What a difference. Was running awesome. Did you catch the "WAS" part?

Today I took it to the store and the oil light came on. thought that was odd as the oil change has lets than 300 miles on it.
No other lights on no CEL light or Temp lights.

Was running good and no odd engine noise. Checked the oil and it appears to have a white milkish look as if moisture infiltrated the oil...

Thoughts? headgasket?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,453 Posts
Do you make short trips? We are dealing with a similar thing on my husband's '02 Audi. We are thinking its a combination of short trips (which doesn't give moisture a chance to burn off) and a leaking oil cooler. We got it when the PO thought the head gasket blew. But no other real symptoms of the gasket. Not smoking or running poorly at all. Compression is perfect.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
repairs

You never do on these cars. They are cute looking and fun to drive but are a PITA to work on and constantly needing repairs. I've been working on mine for the last 7 years and every time I fix one thing two more problems come up...LOL :p

I believe the milky like oil problem is moisture in the crankcase only if the white substance is on the oil cap. If it's actually in the oil itself you might be SOL. Good luck to ya man:bigthumb:

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Keep in mind if the old oil was already loaded with goobersnot? It might take a bit to work it out of the system.

S-

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the weather has been below Zero since I posted. the only reason I thought there was a problem was the oil light came on. 300 miles on oil change.

Checked dipstick saw the milky-ness and stuck it back in and called it a night and told the daughter to use one of the other vehicles....Dont know why teeneage girls dont care for dodge caravans---with 230,000 miles....LOL

The fresh oil change may of dislodged some gunk in the engine???
Other than the oil light the dam thing is running awesome.

this weekend I am going to check compression and a leak down test on the coolant if I can borrow some tools.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok the night this happened it was like -10 degrees.. about 10 miles at 65 mph the oil light came on...shifted to neutral and with the RPM's less than 1000 oil light went off. back in gear the oil light came on at 2000 rpm's
pulled off checked the oil and it looked frothy....no CEL or temp lights at idle or rpm's less than 2000.

Limped home shut it down and grumbled.

Fast forward to today. Popped the hood and checked the oil...looked fine. clean normal oil. normal level.

start it up and leave it idle for 10 minutes....no lights no abnormal sounds.

take it for a 5 mile drive in town....Nothing abnormal..

Was Monday just a bad dream?

I do have the yellow goo under the oil fill cap and will look further at the link RED99 Posted.

my vagcom cable came today..hopefully with some research and help from Forum members I can gather more information.

I gave the daughter the Green light to drive it to school tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The oil light won't come on under 2000 rpm. The way VW controls the light, the pressure has to be low and the rpm has to be above 2000 for the light to come on. The idea is that very little oil pressure is needed at idle so the pressure threshold is set a little higher and the rpm threshold prevents "false alarms." This way the light comes on a little sooner when it is really needed.

You could have had a one-time thing where something caused the oil to foam. Maybe the level was a little too high. 4 quarts will fill it. 4.5 may be too much. The plastic dipstick funnel is fragile. Check to make sure it is in good condition so you get an accurate dipstick reading.

I'd also clear the PCV hose as I describe in the linked page. You could have excess moisture building up and causing the foam.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my dipstick the loop is broke off and I need a pliars to get the dipstick out of the tube because it fits TIGHT

What do you recommend for Brand and weight of oil for these 2.0's?

I used Mobil 1 Synthetic 0w40 for the 1st oil change I did on her.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Use a full synthetic meeting the VW spec. Mobil 1 0w-40 and Castrol 5w-40 are the most common ones in the US.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
You used a good oil.

My first thought is "bad oil pump?" but that seems drastic and not very common. I'm not sure where the oil pressure sensor is but it might be misbehaving.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I second the sending unit. I had a car once that you would be driving down the road and it would appear to have lost all oil pressure, no noises or anything though. Took it to the stealership under warranty and they put a gauge on it and drove it down the road. Manual gauge said everything was fine. They replaced the sending unit and no more problems. Hope for the best for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A little update.. the problem occurred when the windchill was -20F. since that time the car has been running Great with no warning lights. I did nothing to it. The oil looks normal and the level is good.
I think my problems was just weather related.

Fingers crossed. Monday the temps got to 40F...above Zero it felt like spring...Washed the little bug and cruised around with the sunroof wide open

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.