VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys-

I think we're pretty close, here. I want to get the new forums online as soon as possible. I'm thinking perhaps this weekend sometime would be nice. What do you guys think? Can we have the final pieces in place by then? What <em>are</em> the final pieces? And finally, <em>how</em> do we do this? Here is my suggestion on that.

1. DONE: Post a message here, in Site News, about the new forums. It will tell why we've switched, why would couldn't migrate users and threads, and what's new and exciting here. It should also mention the member sponsorship option.
3. DONE: Post a message here, in Site News, introducing the new moderators.
4. DONE: Shut down old forum.
5. DONE: Make all forums on the old site non-postable (I think you have to do this one-by-one, right Ron?)
6. DONE: Add a large and obvious message to the old forums indicating that they are defunct and directing people here. This will include basic instructions on what they'll need to do when they get here.
7. DONE: Move these forums from /vb3 to /forums.
8. DONE: Symlink /vb3 to /forums so /vb3 still works.
9. DONE: E-mail ALL USERS of the old forums. This is a capability I've always had and have never used. I think this is the time to use it. This will also contain full instructions on how to switch.
10. DONE: Re-open old forums (but they still won't be postable -- just readable).
11. DONE: Put new "old homepage" in place.
12. DOING: Sit back and watch and the server explodes.

:D

What do ya think?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I wanna remove banned members from that email list somehow.... I don't care if that means deleting them before sending the email or what, but there's a couple IP's I should grab before we delete the banned ones.

To lock down the othersite I think we can just change the privilages of one or two usergroups.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
sounds good to me i will bring the beer :)

are you adding the search on the homepage for the old forums, like search and history search that queries the old forums from the new?

not moving the tables just less navigation?

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Wheeee....I'd like a front row seat to the server explosion. I'll have a couple cases of Guinness, you guys are all welcome to them. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
noR said:
I wanna remove banned members from that email list somehow.... I don't care if that means deleting them before sending the email or what, but there's a couple IP's I should grab before we delete the banned ones.

To lock down the othersite I think we can just change the privilages of one or two usergroups.
I can do the e-mail based on moderator group, so I'll just not included Banned Members in it.

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jackfrost said:
sounds good to me i will bring the beer :)

are you adding the search on the homepage for the old forums, like search and history search that queries the old forums from the new?

not moving the tables just less navigation?
Yep. There is two search fields on the homepage I'll put in place -- one for each forum. That reminds me -- replace home page should be a step. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fowvay said:
Like I said before.. I'm willing and able to help with whatever you need done. I think I am going to try to attack as many how to threads as I can manage tomorrow.

So many attatchments to save and reupload...arrgggg I hate dial up. :(
Thanks for doing them, but don't sweat it too much. I don't see these as absolutely necessary before we go live. You can take the next six months to migrate them if you need to. :)

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Anyone ever verify if confirmation emails are indeed being sent?

I never saw one when I registered....

Taking a look in the admin, there is no setup for the SMTP server and what not...

Though if that was the case, email notifications of PM's wouldnt have been sent..

Hrmmmm

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
jcroft said:
Hmm, I'll check it out. Users are getting registered, so something is working...
I think the problem was the 13,001 emails that it was sending out

13,000 for the old members
1 for the registration

Methinks people will need to be patient for a while longer ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CrazyJames said:
I think the problem was the 13,001 emails that it was sending out

13,000 for the old members
1 for the registration

Methinks people will need to be patient for a while longer ;)
I think you might be right. The settings look correct. We don't need SMTP b/c we are just using PHP mail(). Also, the new forums batch e-mails to reduce server load. Like, it sends them in a batch every 10 minutes or so. So that might be something, too.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
We might want to place a sticky letting people know to check their spam folders for registration emails, and that the mail server is chugging..

Creating the announcement...

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1. I have just confirmed that the system IS sending e-mails. I was able to get a password reminder and stuff sent to me.

2. Yeah, the homepage isn't quite right. I'll try to figure it out...

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Looks like the registrations are already begginning. We're at 520 members now. I like the purple "member sponsor" thing I'm seeing for the first time now that the non-mods are onboard

1 - 19 of 19 Posts