NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I know the early NB's has suspect automatic transmissions. I'm looking to get another NB and wondering when and if they ever sorted out the automatic tranny issues.
Thanks,
Joe

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
'03+ are different, but they still have problems. VW issued a recall on the valve bodies on those transmissions, but it was only for 7 years, so '03 cars are out of it, and '04 cars will be soon.

I'd get a manual.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
I suspect the late models will have just as many problems as the early models have had...just takes time for them to hit 100k miles and explode into a million pieces.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you're looking for long-term reliability, skip the automatic transmissions; a properly-maintained manual transmission is essentially good for the life of the New Beetle. A clutch/flywheel replacement every 100K-miles or so is about the limit of your exposure with a manual transmission in a New Beetle. :D

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I've seen many a clutch go 150k+. I was at 102k on my NB and the clutch was showing no signs of stopping.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
If you're looking for long-term reliability, skip the automatic transmissions; a properly-maintained manual transmission is essentially good for the life of the New Beetle. A clutch/flywheel replacement every 100K-miles or so is about the limit of your exposure with a manual transmission in a New Beetle. :D
The shifter cables bushings do wear out as well leading to a car stuck in 1 gear when one of the cables gives way.

My car only lasted 85k miles before one of the cables snapped :(

But still, I'd rather replace cables and clutches than have a auto trans spill its guts all over the interstate every 100k miles :)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I had the shift carrier break on me at 92k, leaving me with 3rd and 4th only. But no other issues with the manual trans side of things in my years of ownership.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I agree, Germans never been very good with Automatic transmissoins and 95% of all cars in Germany are Manuals. That said the DSG transmissions are a work of art and they are a lot better than the regular auto tranny's by VW. They are also a lot more expensive to fix and require a tad more maintenance. So if you have your heart set on an Automatic I would go with a DSG transmission.
I still think cars in general are a lot more fun to drive if they have a manual gearbox. My 2000 Beetle 1.8 with 5 speed transmissions has 160k+ miles on the clock and still has it's original clutch. Still shifts like Butta' without any slippage. So far the only thing I have done is change the Manual transmission fluid and that was about it.
If you want a great car with a very nice Automatic transmission I would suggest a late model Nissan Altima with CVT transmission. Very smooth and no shift shock :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The shifter cables bushings do wear out as well leading to a car stuck in 1 gear when one of the cables gives way.

My car only lasted 85k miles before one of the cables snapped :(

But still, I'd rather replace cables and clutches than have a auto trans spill its guts all over the interstate every 100k miles :)
Those are very minor things to replace. A new cable end with the improved square endlink is only 23 bucks at ECS tuning. I replaced mine with the new heavy duty square endlinks and the TT OEM short shifter linkage. $43 bucks at VWOEMpartsonline.com Took about 15 minutes to install and it did make a difference in ****s. More positive and not notchy at all and about a 15-20% reduction in throw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts